Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

I see Stephen King has finally taken my advise and ended his Facebook account. 



++++++++++









++++++++++





I haven't seen anything lately on TV that has blown my socks off, but I did watch a documentary on Netflix called The Pharmacist.  It's about a guy who loses his son to a drug deal gone bad and then traces it all back to the opioid situation.  It is rather riveting as he leads the investigation into his son's killer after the police gave up on it, and then leads a battle against Perdue Pharma.  It's worth a watch.

If you like "unsettling" go watch Midsommar on Amazon Prime.  I really liked it.


++++++++++ 

 I was fascinated by the honeymoon couple stranded on the cruise ship Diamond Princess in Japan, riddled with coronavirus.  They can't leave their room because they have a balcony, the food isn't all that good since they have blown through the primo stuff, and all limited TV and news.  There is that other honeymoon activity but I suppose that can get a bit stodgy under those circumstances. 


++++++++++




This is Ulric Dunbar working on his "Mammy" monument that was going to be placed in Washington D.C. in the early 30's.  A group of Southern white women got together and proposed a memorial statue for the mammies of the south who helped raise Southern kids.  An outcry against it scuttled the project.  Hard to imagine such a thing even took root,  honoring the subjugated. 


++++++++++ 


Under "Life-As-a-Met's Fan" file, which is never easy, the latest from the Big Apple's Second Best team is disheartening.  It looked like we were going to get new ownership from the hoplessly inept Wilpon family.  Billionaire Steve Cohen backed off last week after the Wilpons insisted they get to call the shots for the next 5 years after Mr. Cohen infused them with his billions.  

The Wilpons were taken in by the Madoff Ponzi scandal and lost millions and are also paying Bobby Bonilla, who last played in 2001, 1.9 million a year until 2035.  Papa Fred lets sonny-boy Jeffie play with the team like a 2 year old plays with Magic Sand.


++++++++++     






Where America Is Headed.


++++++++++





An interesting obit from a couple years ago I recently uncovered.

++++++++++






Traitortots


++++++++++






++++++++++



The Wombie called yesterday afternoon wanting me to help him with his printer ink cartridge.  I suggested a couple things and then he said he was going to get some more ink and that he would call me right back.  He didn't.  Now I am worried that the printer has consumed him and if we printed something out it would have his astonished looking face on it in a kind of techno-scream. 



++++++++++   

And finally...




I pick up the kids from school every Friday and take back to my place...just because.  Last Friday I asked them if they wanted Frosties from Wendy's, and not surprisingly, they did.  Once there and ready to feast, Ayla decided she needed to use the restroom.  The Ladies was being used so I took her into the guys, even with her objections.  As she was taking care of business I glanced down into the wastebasket.  

Big city, I guess.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant