Skip to main content

Peace of My Mind






Many things have changed in the TV landscape since we three boys would anxiously wait for the day's shows to start on our old TV set.  The three of us would line up and stare at the image and await the day's programs that were on two channels, both in the Quad Cities.  Clara Bell was tooting its horn after school and John Ravenscroft was the news anchor.  Bonanza and the burning map was must-watch on Sunday nights even though none of us really like westerns.  Combat! was more our style. We'd watch the opening flames in color then trundle maybe downstairs and work on our Mummy and Wolfman plastic models.  Bro Phil would retire to his room and play a homemade baseball game.  The sound of his pen making a circular sound to roulette a hit, or strike out or home run still runs through my head.  I wonder if he still has that wooden board.  I'd love to see it again.  

Those two channels expanded to three at some point and opened up a cornucopia of choice, or so we thought then.  But always the commercials.  Pepsodent, See the USA in a Chevrolet,  I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner, Coffee-mate, cleaning needs and other daily needs were aired through out the day.  VW had funny ads as did Miller Lite, but for the most part they were a drudge or an opportunity.  A drudge in that who cared about Doris Day singing a jingle or an opportunity to hit the bathroom. 

Today's commercials are a curious blend of car ads, Big Pharma, accountants for multimillionaire dollar companies, ways to get your money from trusts or legal winnings, insurance, erectile dysfunction, and pizza.  Gone are Bounty ads, feminine pads, cleaning needs and when was the last time you saw an ad for a Chevy car?

I just saw an ad where a doctor looks at a husband and wife and tells him "it's metastatic."  At the end of the ad the guy looks at his wife, then the doc and declares let's go with Foundation One testing.  Drug companies want us to be little mini-salesmen when we go to our doctors.  They understandably shovel millions for drug manufacturing, testing and approval (or not) and want some return on their investment.  I get it.  The likelihood of me suggesting a particular drug to my doc is remote, regardless of illness.  Part of the contract between my doc and me is that he plays the sawbones and pharmacologist and I play the stoic, respectful patient.  

It must be profitable for Pharma to blanket the airwaves, or cable,  running medication recommendations to us else they wouldn't do it.  Same as BDO, that company where two people are fretting over taxes for their 15 separate companies.  Never mind most of us have never had even one.  

I'm not that naive.  Back in the day those ads we three boys tuned in for wanted our money for their products.  In many cases it worked: we all had hula hoops and we bought whatever Madison Avenue wanted us to.  I like the capitalist system: our work should benefit my family, not four down the street.  I also like the Middle Class, as a concept and a reality.  I might still be in it, but my grasp on it might be slipping a bit.  

Pharma spent 3.4 billion on TV last year, and in return you got your Crohn's disease lessened, eczema reduced, cancer abated, herpes mitigated and a hard dick to boot.  And now that the Boomers are in the waiting rooms with cash to spare, we might as well spend it on medicine instead of tie-dyed T-shirts and that box set of Fantasy Island.                 

The U.S. is one of only two countries that allow companies to peddle their pills on TV.  If you are curious, New Zealand is the other.  Again, I have no problem with it within the context of advertising.  Hey, if you have the bucks, then why not?  Airtime is airtime, and anything goes I guess except smoking and guns.  

But I wonder.  Ever see those folks in the commercials?  That one I mentioned earlier about the guy with metastatic cancer?  He looks great.  The woman with irritable bowel syndrome?  She's out jogging.  The one with the lady with psoriasis?  She looks great, too.  Nice skin.  One might even say she has a glow.  

There is an old saying, something like a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.  All these aging Boomers, watching a commercial on a miracle drug, demanding their physician fork it over, then pay gazillions more rather than the generic.  Yup, that's capitalism, folks. 

Since I don't pay much attention to TV ads, then they can broadcast anything they want.  Warren Buffett said there is a class warfare going on, and that his class is winning.  I think he's right.  The big monied boys of the upper class are taking over our quaint little toothpaste commercials and the quicker-picker upper.  Somehow I miss the commercials that I thought might improve my life.  Now I watch and I just think the bullies are trying to get into my pocket. 

Hey TV, "Great Taste...Less Filling" works for me.        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant