Skip to main content

Can You Hear Me Now?


Two years ago I contracted a cold.  Yeah even in Florida people get colds.  It was like most of my colds.  Preliminary scratchy throat, runny nose and constantly blowing until my nose gets painful even to the touch of Puffs.  Nothing new.  Had 'em many times before.  And when my ear or ears would clog up after a month or so they'd clear up with a pop and life goes on.  Except two years ago, my right ear didn't clear.  It stayed clogged.  Two years.  That's not to say there aren't some advantages, but really, it was annoying and ultimately I decided I didn't want to watch TV with the sound cranked.  I tired of walking or seating to people's right so my one good ear would hear maybe most of the conversation.  Simply, after a while you get used to it.  It is just something else that you overcome as best you can. I had even started using the 'hearing impaired' subtitles on movies.  Occasionally you nod yes when you haven't quite got what someone has said, most often that works, but once in a while they say, "What?" as if shocked you would agree to what they just said.  



So I decided to see an Otolaryngologist.  On Tuesday, February 21st I met with a Dr. Timothy Dunleavy of St. Petersburg from the Palms of Pasadena Hospital complex.  The receptionist behind the semi-glassed cage area mumbled something and I said, "What."  She said I needed a photo ID, and I said, "Guess you know what I'm here for."  They gave me an audio test and although scolded a couple times to ONLY push the clicker when I heard a pulsating noise, I guess they found what they needed.  Well, as luck would have it, I was hearing from my bad ear and my good ear was blocked.



What I assumed was a my good one, was my bad one.  Dr. Dunleavy said that at some point I had had an infection and that it had a perforation and had been stretched over some ear goodness.  He said it'll never get better but he'd make sure it wouldn't get worse.  As for my bad right ear, amazingly, even after a two year period of if being filled with cold gunk, glue ear he called it, was in good shape.  He removed the gunk, that's a medical term, and put in a tube much like babies get.  It is a 1 1/2 year tube so I should be good to go for a while.  I heard my new bike for the first time heading home that day, and other things as well.  All I can say is, take care of yourselves.  I was certain I'd be fitted for a hearing aid and came home pretty gosh darn giddy.  I dodged that Boomer bullet and decided to be a bit more proactive with things.  Error on the side of safety, and good health.   Man, that fridge sure runs loud, and the noise on the Interstate when I'm on my bike sure seem louder, and all those fraction' birds outside, when did they show up?  Take care of yourself, and do not go gentle into that good night.  Don't give up a thing.  Got that?  Now go call your Doc to make an appointment to get whatever that little nagging thing is fixed. 

Lecture over, class dismissed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant