Skip to main content

Inane Inanities

1.  Turned CNN on the other day and in big black text against a red backdrop was "BREAKING NEWS".  Turns out the big news was the LA Coroner published Whitney Houston's death certificate with reason for demise 'deferred'.  That's a News Break?  When I was a kid the networks reserved their Special Announcements with aplomb.  Political and activist assassinations or presidential resignations were prime topics.  I guess nowadays a non-informative death certificate of a drug-addled has-been celebrity diva counts as news.   I recall when they first started they did real news all day.  And with the gravitas of James Earl Jones saying in his deepest Darth Vader voice "This....Is CNN" you knew you were getting some semblance of non-commercialized news.  But not anymore.  Now we get the Magic Wall.  Nothing says "cheese" like CNN.  It's a sad decline for a once grand news network.



2.


These Marines are not Tebow-ing.  It isn't a prayer huddle or a strategy session either.  What's going on here is the protection of an Afghan child being worked on by a Navy medic and the Marines using themselves to shield them.  This is the kind of stuff that compels all of us, next time we see a soldier or vet to say thanks.


3.

For many, the perfect fridge.

4.  My favorite five words: "Wolf Blitzer is off tonight."  Yes, I'm on a anti-CNN roll.  I never watch Fox, but now I cringe at CNN.  Wolf is like that up-tight science teacher you had in the 6th grade that everyone thought was a perv.  His banter is conversational and without substance.  Two desks of talking heads, the Cube Room, the Magic Wall and all that glitz with what appears to be a runway with silly graphics.  Ugh.  Best impartial newscast now is on PBS.

5.  Real life monster, and not a Hollywood creation.  Look at that sucker.  It's a scale worm from the depths of the ocean.



6.  This is a picture from the men's restroom at the Holiday Inn in St. Petersburg.  Now that is class.



7.  Downton Abbey is great.  So is Boardwalk Empire, but it can be a bit draggy in parts.  Mildred Peirce with Kate Winslett was perhaps the most boring mini-series I have ever seen.  But I didn't see all of it, I stopped after 3 episodes.  Speaking of Stopped:  I think I have tired or outgrown American Idol.  Granted, I wanted to see a train wreck, but the true imbecility of the judges and the non-stop commercials have soured me on the whole thing.  Ides of March was excellent, but Hugo put me to sleep.


8.

When was the last time you saw Elsie the Cow?  When was the last time you had Borden's milk?  Picked this up as emergency rations one night at a gas station and was surprised to see Elsie.  Didn't even realize she was still around.  I honestly can't remember the last time I had Borden's.  Probably as a kid?

9.



10.   I didn't understand the thug mentality until I read this brief snippet from a larger article.  Alright, so I see the need to be tough and gangsta in an environment of toughness.  But will someone please tell me how dropping your pants below your cheeks is part of that culture?




The thug persona is a defensive mechanism, in part -- designed to make young men appear "tough" in crime-ridden neighborhoods so that they won't get preyed on. But it is also a way in which young African American men try to emasculate racism and poverty... a means by which they can take pride in being violent, pride in being sexual predators, pride in being greedy. In a world that works overtime to strip them of dignity, the "thug life" is a perverse and self-destructive means of trying to live a life with a modicum of self-respect.


11.



Danny Lee and the Wombie


Wombie, Danny, and Brendan

I love visitors and Wombie and his group of golfers from Aledo came down to do some hacking.  My entourage was able to meet his entourage at the Holiday Inn up by the airport.  Fun evening.  "RED SOLO CUP!!"   


12.  Got a dollar bill the other day.  Anyone know what it means?




13.  WARNING: POLITICAL CONTENT  I'm suffering from political fatigue.  But this is what I think:  before the debates I would have guessed the election in the Fall would have been close.  But since the debates I think it will be a Democratic victory.  I'm not thrilled with Obama and I don't like the Republicans.  What is a poor Moderate to do?  Who will lead this country? And I'm not talking about the fascist fanatics on the Right and the Left.  More and more people I know are opting to NOT vote for the top spot in the Fall.  So far, include me in with that list.

14.  Here is something you never see these days.  This one was at a building that houses baby stuff on consignment and a laundry.  




I suppose they place them at the locations to serve people most likely NOT to have cell phones.  Funny, when I was there I didn't pick up the receiver to see if it worked.


15. And finally, in honor of baseball's opening week,  I thought it might be nice what other cultures regard as sport.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant