Skip to main content

THIRD YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Three Years


Three years ago today Missy Marie passed away.  Not too many days go by without  thinking of her.  When I am depressed, or lonely or homesick I think of her.  I think of her often. She was the dog of a lifetime, and at this point she has become a symbol of better days.  I have been looking for a new furry best friend but problems abound.  For one, I don't know if the hassle will cause further suffering since I have been without the worry for almost three years.  You know the worry: will I be there to take her out?  Will she chew everything?  I'll be the one to clean up, and will  that make me sorry for getting her?  You know, the usual.  And I don't need the hassle.  For another, Shawshank, my present place of residence,  has a weight limit of 30 lbs.  Much less than 30 lbs and they are no longer considered dogs in my book. Miss Maddy being the rare exception, of course.  Yet another, is my realization that no dog will measure up at this point.  How do you replace a friend that so fully permeated me?  Happy, a great Catahoula Leopard I met in Bradenton was everything I wanted in a dog, but we had to part due to the aforementioned Shawshank requirements and after that I kind of shelved the desire.  But who loses out with that kind distancing?  Well, me and the future Miss Wet Nose.  But for today, we honor the memory of a great great dog.  Well, great is a pejorative term.  She was a weak dog, prone to pissing uncontrollably whenever she was frightened, or thought I was mad, or saw the moon, or just about anything.   She hated adventure, being away from me, and riding in the truck.  She  absolutely adored me, and I miss that.  She was my shadow, and I miss her horribly.  I must move on, I must move forward, but she holds me back.      

This is a reprint of March 20, 2009:







1996 - 2009

Today at 8:45 am Missy Marie, beloved member of the Blythe family for almost 13 years, passed away quietly in the loving arms of her buddy, Mike. Brendan also accompanied her for her last visit to the vet's.
While not particularly graceful, pretty or adventurous, Missy made up for these shortcomings by being loyal, loving, great company and eager to please. She enjoyed our attentions, walks, naps, supper and snacks. She supervised the raising of two kids while providing comfort, protection and committed companionship to us all. Indeed, she will be very sorely missed. I will be forever grateful she and Mackenzie locked eyes and hearts at the Shelter.

"She has had a fantastic life, with a
friend who adores her. No dog could have
been luckier with fate."
Nancy Blythe







Our last walk to the post office, on the  17th of March.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant