Skip to main content

Most Unique and Thoughtful Gift This Year...

And the Winner Is.......................


Longtime readers will note with some disdain my affection for blizzards, snow and most things winter.  I yearn for snow, I long for a 8-12"'er, I miss the snow angels, Missy prancing around like a pup, and the general feel for Christmas a good snowfall provides. Granted, I don't like these in March, but then that goes with the territory, so to speak.  I also don't like the furnace kicking in every 25 minutes to provide life-affirming heat, with an equally affirming bill at the end of the month.  


Readers will  also remember that I have several websites where I can visually eavesdrop on current conditions.  There is a webcam on the Arsenal Bridge in the Cities, one in Macomb looking at the Courthouse, one along the Mississippi River around Muscatine, and, my favorite, at my old college Iowas Wesleyan which actually has four looking out over the campus.  Does it help that I watch these blizzards and feel for my brethren?  Yes, I'm wearing shorts, and the windows are open, but I really do feel for you guys.  Yes, I miss the snow.  I'm hoping my love of blizzards will help my karma, which must surely be in short supply (the good Stuff) because of my winters in Flucktardia.    



  

Down to visit the family the current Mrs. Blythe's sister and niece, Patti and Amy, joined us for the holidays.   They hail from Indianapolis and were more than happy to visit shortly after the last Midwest blizzard.  They spotted this item somewhere in Indiana and brought it down for me to enjoy.  They remembered my whining about the white stuff and how much I am talking about it and miss it. It is a container of snowballs!  And it will never melt in the squalid heat down here.




Soft, but kind of crunchy snowballs that will be put to great use this winter.  We already tried them out with each other on Christmas day and I can tell you they throw well without the usual mess.  I am so grateful to them for providing me a way to replenish my karma cup.


Rest assured, loyal readers, that when you guys are shoveling or driving in that white stuff, and barely able to see where the road is, I'll be right there with you, snowballs in hand ready to share equally in the fun and pain.  I swear.

Oh, and Patti and Amy had to cut short their visit to get back to Indy before the next blizzard which fell somewhere on Christmas night and yesterday morning.  Thanks for the gift, guys, it will help my frame of mind all winter.  SNOWBALL FIGHT, ANYONE? 

Don't forget to get a picture of your Christmas Tree for the blog next week.  Send them to bfereporter@yahoo.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant