Skip to main content

2012 Tin Butt Ride - Part 2

Navigating around the edges of Tampa turned out to be OK, basically, with a few exceptions.  What you don't want happening is to get stopped by a light while half the group is past.  Then that makes you leader of the pack, and for me (and the others) that's a bad thing.  That's pit juice-inducing stuff there.  You bet, in Tampa or boonies and I end up leading, no way.  Back in BFE I was the designated leader (Dear Leader) and didn't mind it if I was comfortable with my comprehension of the destination.  But here, its a little iffy outside of St. Pete.


First pit stop.


Here we all had to get some form of receipt or documentation.  The place really sucked though because I always fill up (those Goldwings never have to) and it didn't take cards.  Here was my history with this place.  I try to gas up but nothing happens.  So I get in line.  Naturally everyone is in line for the can or to get their receipt, so I stand in line forever.  When I get up to the clerk he can't speak English so I say, I need gas and it won't accept my card.  Middle Eastern gibberish.  I then walk out and see someone gassing up and I ask them, and they tell me you pre-pay.  I said, OK, so now I get back in line,  wait forever and I say I need gas at pump 2.  He says, in difficult English this time, "How much?"  I say I don't know I haven't filled up yet because you don't take cards.  I give him $20.00 and he gives me a piece of paper and clicks on some keys.   I go outside to get gas, and the pump works so I fill up.  Now I have to get back in line again to get my change.  By now I have to go to the bathroom, so I stand in line there, too.   



Another thing to remember is that all of the groups and bikes are following the general same directions, so throughout the day our numbers in the group may lower or swell depending on pit stops, people getting lost and such.  This is Jack on his Kawi ready to fly.



Perhasp some of the most scenic traveling I have seen while riding with this Club.  Majestic vistas, overhanging oaks with Spanish moss, and like the picture below, desolate barren fields.


The thing that drew me to this picture is next to the trees in the far back ground is an old empty house and next to that is an old water tower.   



One of my patented rear-view mirror shots.  I like these because it gives you a front and rear view.  



Lake Griffin up by Leesville.



My butt is still fresh and I have feeling.


Very scenic area back here.  Good roads, not a whole lot of traffic either.


We stopped somewhere around Groveland and only in FLorida would you ever see a pink water tower.


Mustard, collards and turnips.  Why would you ever stop?


In one of my many gas fill stops I noticed these young men with a 4-wheeler ATV in the back of their small pick-up.  They were buying ice and beer.  Lethal combination.   





I apologize again for the choppy shaky camera system I have, but until Santa graces me with a Go-Pro camera, this is what you and I are stuck with.  And I have it on pretty good authority I'm not getting one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant