Skip to main content

Sanding Ovations - Part 2

Welcome back to the annual Sanding Ovations Sand sculpture competition at the Bil-Mar on Treasure Island. Yesterday I displayed pics of my also-rans, and today are the ones I really liked.

Exhibit #7





This was a clever sculpture depicting the life and death of a fallen civilization.  On the left is a live warrior and on the left is an ancient skull, I assume depicting the warrior then and now.  In front is a rat chewing on the leather hand braid of a sword.   




Entitled "Mazatlan"

Well done, clever and with a statement, this one was one of my favorites.  Just enough pathos and whimsy to make one think.  I liked it a lot.


Exhibit #8


I liked the work and the concept more than the actual artwork on this one.   It is pretty detailed with an interesting front and back which is rather imaginative.  I liked the idea of the rope binding the lady but in the back the bas relief and broken roped make one wonder what its all about.  Clever, enigmatic and fairly well detailed this was a good one.    



Entitled "Unchained"

Exhibit #9  



I have forgotten the name of this one, but it came in second in my list of favorites.  The wistful look of a boy (?) caped hero (?) looking upon a/his heart (?) I thought was arresting.  The open ventricles on one side while more lifelike on the other, this is a mysterious entry, indeed.  Who is the caped fellow?  He seems a bit chubby to be a super-hero so does he represent the 'everyman' in us all?   


Well formed design and full of questions this is a neat entry. 





AND MY PERSONAL FAVORITE
Exhibit #10

Life.  Simply titled but complex and stunning.   I love this one.  Kind of modernist  Scandinavian architecturally curved wall with a guy sitting looking upward.  On the other side, is another heart, more detailed and seeming to grow into/onto a man instead of from within.  And once again, the man on the other side has his head pointing upward also, in penitence, in yearning, in search?  


Exquisitely rendered, man, I like this a lot.   


And on the other side of the wall, a person, is it him?  Is he dead?  This is why I like this one so much, it is open to a wide variety of interpretation.  

It was a beautiful winter day, always shorts weather, but mostly shirt-sleeved on-lookers.  The whole family was with us as Brendan joined us on this outing.   



Showing her chops as a sand artist.


An unperturbed, unruffled uncle looking on.


In fact we may have a budding sculpturess on our hands as Norah was slinging sand all over the place, especially on Brendan.  Nice outing, generally speaking, except for the damn parking.  Brendan and I left first so we could guard the cars at Waffle House before they got towed away.  

Till next time, and keep making those sand castles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant