Skip to main content

Trip Home - Redux

THIS IS A FIVE ENTRY WEEK.



Back Again, So Soon?

I went to BeerBellys Bar with Mark and Holly sometime in my return trip back home in August and ran into Dave Olson.  He saw me,  did a double take, and said, "Well, Hell, you're here more often than I am."    

My buddy, Eddie, called me from Peoria the other day.  He told me he'd be up to Aledo with his new/old 1962 Chevy Impala to attend the Aledo Antique Days car show.  He wondered if I'd be up there, too.  Scheduled for August 24th there were a couple of obstacles that had to eliminated.  The first obstacle was the availability and economy of Allegiant air fare.  It's a great airline that does small town America but it is not above gouging during peak travel days like Spring Break and most Holidays.  I've seen tickets go for as high as $400 but I have also taken advantage of really cheap $40 tickets, too.  I checked their website and while not overly cheap, they were reasonably low so I took the plunge.  





The next obstacle was the availability of personal funds to accomplish the mission.  I was just up in June on the Great Trip North of 2013 on my bike and a two-month turnaround seemed a bit excessive, especially on the pretense of a car show.  It was the end of the month but I had a little left over so it was a "GO".  Tickets in hand and a little green in the billfold, and I also wanted to check out the new roof of my house in Henderson and another tryst with my newest love, Miss Frump, was all I needed to head back home again.   She had been in the hospital for the past couple of weeks to get some work done on her starting issues.    

Thanks to JC for providing transportation to and from the airport and since I left my truck up North I would have wheels while I was home.  Rental cars are a budget killer, and I'm not sure if having the truck sitting unused is really worth it, but on trips North it is a lifesaver.  

Ironically, on the way home home I stopped at Burger King in Monmouth and received news from Wombie that Miss Frump was ready to be discharged from A & M Repair in Aledo.  Plans initially had her going also on Saturday to Knoxville Car Show with JC but that wouldn't happen because The Frump also needed some additional work that ruled out longer drives.  

I had a nice chat with Dr. Allen who was responsible for Miss Frump.  He said he put on a new gas pump, filter and some lines and also changed the oil and fixed the timing a bit.  It was 3 degrees off.  She was able to start without difficulty but needed additional work with her torsion bars and steering gear.  Originally it looked like she wouldn't be able to join in on the fun but a last second reprieve allowed for her to enter.  JC was originally going to bring her Fiero over,  but by this time she had received word that Miss Frump wouldn't be there so plans were changed.  As it was I was then meeting up with Eddie and Dan and would camp out with them for Antique Days.  




I've blotted out the numbers stuff (if you look closely you can see what I paid) since its not important, and besides, Miss frump is a lady and like a ladies' age,  some of her affairs need to be kept under wraps.  What I wanted to show was the little comment in the lower left hand corner.  That made the owner proud.

After a short visit with Miss Frump I then went over to Mark and Hollie's house which would serve as my headquarters for the next 5 days.    

Just a final word about the trip up.  Flying really is a breeze.  All the people who complain about long lines, lack of privacy regarding the TSA and hassle of boarding haven't flown with me.  From the moment I was dumped off at Clearwater Airport, I didn't have to wait any longer than 6 minutes to get my boarding pass.  Going through security was fast and didn't take any longer than 5 minutes.  When it was time to board the plane they do it in a new Zone system that was also fast and easy.  Luckily I didn't have anyone sitting next to me so I could spread out a little, too.   



Sunrise from Mark and Hollies' back yard.


Back home again.  Never too many trips back to shake off the mold, humidity and Florida taint off this old kid.  The agenda was full with trips to Mt. P. for Jerry's, the world's greatest pizza,  a couple nights at North Henderson BFE Community center, Burgess for a beer or 10, Wataga BFE to a place you can't find, and, well, the usual things that recharge a Midwesterner's batteries when they are so very drained in far off places.  Those batteries recharge with a little porch time, 
food that can't be had anywhere else in the world, family, a '63 Dodge, and friends that also can't be found anywhere else in the world.   Ah, home.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant