Skip to main content

Been A While SInce I Visited the Vinoy

Summer in Florida is best spent inside.  (However, this year was hotter in the North than down here.) The heat can really get to you in June, July and August.  However, when Fall approaches it's time to head back out and it had been awhile since I'd been to the Vinoy Park downtown.  Long time readers know it is one of my favorite spots and there is always something to see.  



For relaxing, nothing else beats its.  Stroll around or hit a park bench.  Either way there's lots to see.


They say the 2nd happiest day of your life is when you sell your boat.  Man, wouldn't it be great in between those dates, though?





A woodpecker working on lunch.  It's funny.  I took about 15 shots of this guy and none are too crisp and well defined.  Wonder why?





This guy was looking for easy handouts.  These vermin are pretty tame here at the park.  Lots of people throw peanuts at them.


You'll notice that I usually take people's pictures as they are walking or skating away...I don't want bitch slapped.  Justin of Human Of New York blog (I highly recommend checking it out) walks around and takes pictures of people, but I haven't perfected my spiel yet.



Elegance in flight.



This guy's chest tattoo was interesting.  At first I thought it was an anatomical rendering of his chest.  



Turned out to be so much more interesting.  I'm not sure what all is going on but I like it.  




Can you spot the bird in the tree?


There he is.  Way up at the top.   That is a helicopter flying by and not a fish in his beak.



Kind of a neat 2-man raft, perfect for convenient fishing in the Bay. 




The now scandalously empty Pier.  The referendum to build the Lens was rejected by the voters, now we start all over again.  Meanwhile the Pier is empty and will be for another couple years until they come up with a new design.  


These guys just pulled up in their jon boat, threw out an anchor, walked in to shore and were not to be seen for an hour.  Don't know where they went, maybe lunch up town, but they seemed to be trusting.


Scavengers waiting for an opportunity. 


A great day for solitude, for reflecting, for being at the Vinoy.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant