Skip to main content

Flashback Friday


Offices, I suppose, reflect their occupants, perhaps more so than anything else.  One's home may not have a room to reflect a single person and garage's aren't always the best vehicle either, although my old one on Grove Street sure gave it a good go.  Let's take a look at my old office at MDH and see what goodie's we can find.   



Clockwise from top right:

1.  Mary Davis Home Appreciation Certificate
2.  Picture of me and Pat Johnson at one of the Mike Johnson Open awards ceremony.  
3.  IPCSA (Illinois Probation and Court Services Assoc.) Recognition Certificate 
4.  Recognition Certificate from American Heart Association (In relation to Mike Johnson Open)
5.  Putter given to me by the Johnson family for Mike Johnson Opens.





1. Upper center are my old cars.
2.  Right is a gag gift from Henry County Probation, regarding keys to city.
3.  The red chair was a carryover from the pre-remodeled MDH conference room.  
4.  The painting on far wall was don by Donna Johnson a renowned local artist from the Aledo area whose talents were struck down by a stroke. 



1.  Near picture above the bulletin board is kids from program and staff who helped with sandbagging during 2004 Flooding.  

2.  Next to it is a hand drawn gag picture of me sitting at my desk asleep done by Dennis "Swede" Nelson, a Transportation Officer, who has since retired. 

3.  Painting over computer was one I did of Kenzie when she was a little girl. 



The only thing of note here is the blue binder laying on the desk.  This was the program Bible.  It went with me to every weekly staffing and if I wasn't there, it went with whoever was running staffings that day.  It contained the names of program kids, detailed info on weeks at MDH and all votes on whether the kids passed stuck, or regressed.  

I still have that worn frayed blue binder and a few pages from my last staffings.  

It was a good office.  Counselors reported in once every week and we had some pretty good chats, and I enjoyed having them in.  I wanted to make it as homey and comfortable as possible because sometimes they may not have wanted to see me as much as I wanted to see them.  Sometimes I had to get on them a little, but mostly it was a great staff who were genuinely motivated to make an impact in their clients' lives.  They all made me look good as Program Coordinator.  I was lucky.   






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant