Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

1.  The Obit and Doomsday posts have been moved back to November 6th and 7th.

2.  This was something I found surfing.  Kind of nice if you are one of those romantic types.  It was done by a Disney veteran who quit them and seems to have started his own shop. 






3.  Walked out the front door at Shawshank and saw this.  Wonder if it's a sign from the gods, those tricky little SOB's.  Yep, that's a double rainbow, readers.  



4.  The City is an acquired taste which I have yet to acquire.  I don't particularly like the people, the traffic or their driving, or the fact that in a service oriented area everyone has their hand out.  You literally cannot walk three blocks without someone asking for a handout or a cigarette.  It may be the way a certain strata of city folks operate, or it may be enhanced by the economy - either way, one soon learns the value of uttering "no".  Like the guy said, "You can't feed every starving Indian that wanders into camp."  While I think society and civilization has a moral obligation to try, there comes a reckoning that some are really down on their luck and deserve compassionate consideration, while others simply make a living on your generosity and naivete.

5.  Sometimes you get screwed when you do nothing at all. 


I have been keeping my truck up in Northlandia while I reside in Southlandia.  It is inconvenient and should be resolved at some point, like my living arrangements, but for now I prefer to have wheels when I visit and this is the best way I know how to accommodate that wish.  It didn't start the other week so it had to be towed and new battery cables installed.  It cost close to $300.  Moral of the story:  get used to the fact that things happen that you have no control over and be prepared to pay.  Or, the fates like to send you a zinger every once in a while to keep you from getting too complacent. 

6.    


I took this while waiting for the 4th of July fireworks show at the Vinoy.  It was a long way up there and was able to do a bit of zoom to make it easier to see.

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant