Skip to main content

Flashback Friday


Probably no need to linger over this for very long.  Someone with a camera, most likely Mackenzie, loose in the house, decided I might be a worthy subject.  Memo to Family:  the guy behind the camera doesn't like to be in front of it.

But as long as we are here we might as well do a proper autopsy.   The place is G-Burg, about 18 years ago, approximately.  I am at the desk in my room, a wonderfully small first floor, wood-paneled hideaway.  It was the computer room, Met's shrine, bill-paying center, neighborhood lookout, and doghouse for me and Missy.  The wood was the thick old fashioned kind when paneling was real, not the fiberboard thin stuff they have today.  Every once in a while a little furniture polish on it and it would gleam with elegance. 

Most of my memorabilia was in here as well.  One tends to go through a collection stage at a certain point, and then, happily, grows out of it.  On the shelves I see books, VHS tapes, a stein from college arranged haphazardly to contribute to the ambiance of the room.  A Mike Johnson Open hat on the lower shelf and just above a container of pictures - many of which you see now on Flashback Fridays.  Nothing too organized would do. 

The room had a small restroom for me and carpet for Missy.  She could spend all day with me whilst I tinkered, searched, surfed, rifled, read, and watched - the only measure of the passing time would be her moving to the sunlit warm spots on the floor. 

It was a grand house and I loved that room.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant