Skip to main content

The Return

It was a great weekend. Brendan and his fellow 101st Screaming Eagles arrived more or less on time at Fort Campbell north of Clarksville, Tennessee. Going down it rained almost all the time until I got into Clarksville, and then it stopped. The roadside carnage of deer was unpleasant but slowed me down. I even saw two bucks fighting, antlers intertwined in the median! Can't imagine their having made it to safety when the scuffle ended.
And all the while thinking that this would be my last time down there. In the past 3 1/2 years we made perhaps a dozen trips to see Brendan and/or the kids. It holds special memories and this trip was no exception. Mackenzie was not able to join us because of work, but Brendan's wonderful friend, Karen, flew in from England for the occasion.
The Welcome Home ceremony went without a hitch but Nancy and I were ready for the emotional tugs the Army throws in for families. Still, it was an overwhelming experience and he looked like and acted like our Brendan. Funny, profane, thoughtful, and defender of the weak. Instead of the Screaming Eagles, he referred to them as "Squealing Chickens". Instead of defaming the Iraqis, he liked them and made friends with a couple. Instead of playing it safe and staying out of harms way the final weeks of "lame-duck" occupation, he volunteers for gunrunning convoy duty. Instead of flaunting battle scars, he says nothing, but we find three pictures of various wounds when things like shrapnel rattled around inside the hum-vees.
He has decided enough is enough and wants to try civilian life. This will happen mid to late February and till then he will be de-briefing, joining me for Thanksgiving and then heading to Florida for a few weeks.
We gave the Army a young, brash, headstrong, boy, and in return we have a young, brash, headstrong man. The difference is amazing. Welcome Home son, and thanks.


Popular posts from this blog

GIFS Wantonly Stolen From the Web


This is the driveway to the Oak View Country Club in Aledo.  The pictures were sent to me by Mrs. Wombie last week.  There's been at least one Blythe member for the last 60 years.  At one point there were three of them. This is the drive from the main road that will take you to the Clubhouse, cart sheds and the #1 tee off.   For most of those 60 years we have been driving up this road the hillsides were full of lush green oak trees.  Now it is littered with fallen limbs and trunks.  Now if you want lush, turn around and try somewhere else, lush left this place last year.  The grass is greening here today, and the guys who make this a beautiful course are doing their thing.  But golfing will be a less fun time this year.  This year will take a little to get used to.  A whole lot more sun will be shining on the course, and some golfer's scores will lower just a tad.  The trees that kept the sun from shining everywhere, and the trees that made some errant shots impossible, are go…

Dabbling Again

Now that I have procured a space on the front porch at Sinkhole Estates, or as I call it, Death Valley,  I have begun painting again.  This is one I did most recently blocking in some colors and about 75% finished.  It is Alfred playing in the water at the swimming pool.  I should have it done soon and that other little number there in black is already in the planning stages.

One of the hard parts, having done a painting of Norah a few years ago, is getting the hair right.  It isn't red and it isn't blond.  It is a golden blond/strawberry red depending on the light.  I've already tried mixing up some shades and don't have it right yet. 

One other thing.  My area is on the front porch and there is no air conditioning out there.  It prevents being out there in the hottest parts of the day but cools a bit in the evening.  I was sitting inside one day looking out and wondering if my painting would get wrecked by the heat. And like the dumbass I am I remembered that the great…