Skip to main content

Oh What Wonderful Things We'll See

On my way back from the dock I glanced up and noticed a huge bird in one of the dead trees in a cemetery.  This is a really large cemetery, but it's smack dab in the middle of a city of 250,000 people. Because I always take my camera (Patti, the blog is always hungry) I was able to get quite a few snaps.  It was a most egotistical bird because he sat on this limb for an hour.  Just sitting there looking out and, occasionally, down at us.  By this time a few other people had spotted this grand looking Bald Eagle.  I wanted to get a movie of it flying but after 50 minutes I kind of gave up and thought I would be ready if he flew and put my camera down.  Of course it was at this time he took off, but only to another dead tree a short distance down the roadway.










                             

I may have missed the bird flying but I was quick enough to get this picture as he was about to take off.  If I do say so myself, this is a spectacular photo.  Sometimes, I am sooooooooooooo good.  I have to admit being pretty giddy about spotting this.  This is almost as good as swimming off Sunset beach last year and watching as a lumbering manatee swims past us about 8 feet away.  About the only interesting wildlife back in BFE was a neurotic German Shepherd named Vince who craved leg of Mike, and an over-excited weiner dog named Eddie, aka Boner.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant