Skip to main content

Inane Inanities - New Year's Edition


1.  Question? Why does Michael Jordan have a Hitler mustache? 
    
     (Answer:  He says it was a homage to Charlie Chaplin. Sorry, Michael it's bad.  But,  wait, my Uncle Ed had a Hitler mustache, too.  But I don't think his was a homage to Charlie.  I spent a lot of time with him, but I never asked about his 'stache or his tattoo.)
                             


2.  Why has Florida set records for cold the past two years?

(Answer: Because I'm down here.)

3.  Why do I see photos and videos of blizzards and wish I could be there?

(Answer: I love blizzards.  But only when I don't have to go outside or drive.)

4.  Why are you always referred to as "Coach" if you do it in college or the pro ranks?

(Answer: I don't have a clue.  No one calls me Counselor.  I don't know why it is an honorary title.)
 
5.  How do the wait staff at 3 Birds know it's Brendan's (Bee) parents when we show up?



(Answer: Handsome and crazy cool is hereditary.)

6.  Best line in a movie I heard this Christmas season: "To be without friends is a serious form of poverty."  From It Happened On 5th Avenue.

7.  Gas is going to be $5.00 a gallon by end of 2014?  So says outgoing Shell Oil CEO said recently.

8.  Dumbest thing I said this past year:  After seeing rocks where the week before was water, I said "It must be going down because of the lack of rain."  Apparently it is not lack of rain as to why the water in the ocean goes up or down, it's something called the 'tides'. 

9. Someone called me an "emo". I have no idea what that means, but it can't be good.


10. New Year's Day marked my 11th year of being an ex-smoker. Hope I haven't been too obnoxious.

11. Books waiting for me on my Kindle: The Passage by Justin Cronin, A Battle Won by S. Thomas Russell, Crashers by Dana Haynes, One Second After by William Forstchen, The Book Thief by Marjus Zusak, and A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron, Pride Runs Deep by Cameron Cooke, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

12. Speaking of movies, saw The Lookout recently and it is very, very good. It stars that kid who was in 3rd Rock From The Sun. See it anyway. Also saw Eden Lake and if you like tense, thrilling, and tense then see it. Don't see if it you have a weak stomach, or weak heart.  Finally, check out The Disappearance of Alice Creed for a small Indie film that, too, was very good.

13. This is a response by Amiral Mullen to homophobe John McCain after homophobe McCain claimed the Admiral was not qualified to speak on the gays in the military issue.

"With all due respect, Mr. Chairman and Sen. McCain, it is true that, as chairman, I am not in charge of troops. But I have commanded three ships, a carrier battle group and two fleets. And I was most recently a service chief myself. For more than 40 years I have made decisions that affected and even risked the lives of young men and women.

"You do not have to agree with me on this issue. But don't think for one moment that I haven't carefully considered the impact of the advice I give on those who will have to live with the decisions that that advice informs. I would not recommend repeal of this law if I did not believe in my soul that it was the right thing to do for our military, for our nation and for our collective honor."

14. India has more straight A students than we have students. Think about that.  We better kick this horse in the ass if we're going to keep up with the rest of the world.

15. And I leave you with this:

Comments

  1. Have you seen or will you see the new True Grit? You know Ian, Ronda and I had to check it out. The young girl should get some Oscar buzz. It was good. Had mixed feelings about the movie being remade since I am a big Duke fan. Bridges was good but at times it sounded too much like he had shit in his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um,actually, I call you Counselor. Maybe you are old and forgot (sorry) or maybe you thought I called you "counselor." But, no, I call you Counselor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gay, you are absolutely correct, you do call me "Counselor", and I should have known better. It's nice to know you are still reviewing my work to ensure a quality blog. Thanks, and sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant