Skip to main content

Flashback Friday - Happy Birthday, Kenze.


First ever picture taken of hematoma-topped daughter Mackenzie Alexis Blythe, who just happens to be enjoying her birthday today.  I don't when it starts that ladies' ages get to be secret, but my guess is this year.  She's not 29 or 30, but not 25 either.   But it seems to be an age when you might just begin to get creeped out by how many years you have been around.

A wonderful transformation has taken place,  between parent and daughter, and son for that matter, too.  And its a bit of a role reversal.  I don't know exactly how it starts, whether I initiated it, or they did but it is nice, and one of those things that happen with the passage of time.  Kenzie and Brendan assume a protective guard around me whenever we are out and about.  This must happen when the parent's job of parenting is finished.  Naturally I don't think my job is finished but since they have families of their own, perhaps I'm behind the curve.   Perhaps they just got together once day and said, "Hey, you know how slow Pops is down here in the Big City?  We need to shield him from his own naiveté and small town ways."  No, I don't think that happened.  Actually, I don't think there was any huddle at all.  I think it is just one of those things that happens between parents and kids.  When the kids no longer need to be protected, they begin to protect.  It's called Life.  


So today, Flashback is all about girl.  Happy Birthday, young lady.


Here she is about the same age as her own daughter is now.  Striking resemblance.


With my uncle Ed, who was known as the M & M man. 




This may be my favorite picture, because 1) it's unposed, 2) what is that, dirt on her face?, and 3) it has a wistful feel to it, that look that speaks so much of childhood and all things young.    










No, Kenze wasn't a military kid.  Looks like she is trying on her brother's gear to get a feel for it.




Taken last week.  Mother and Child.  Thanks for taking care of me down here.  Days are always better when you are around, and oh yes, thanks. Kenze, for making parenting look so easy.  

Happy Birthday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant