Skip to main content

Flashback Friday



I miss Midwestern winters, like the one they got yesterday.  There, I said it.  I love the anticipation of blizzards, the excitement of being part of a communal atmosphere that seems to create electricity between people for a few days.  It is an excitement something like a major snowfall when we were kids with the anticipation that school might be called off.  It is an event that everyone partakes in that somehow, brings us all together.  And, there is nothing quite as nice as a Friday or Saturday blizzard.  The "holing in" to watch a movie marathon, or to keep the fire going in the fireplace was as relaxing and energizing as anything I can think of.  We kept our logs in the basement so there was never any need to trudge outside to replenish the fireplace.





In our neighborhood we had dueling snow blowers.  John Gerdes and Dave Makeever had theirs across the street and I had a little one.  We would bundle up and head out and do the sidewalks, driveways and and then merrily see who could get over to Marty's first.  Scoring points with Marty was always a good idea.

I had one of the longest driveways around and it was gravel so trying to remove all the snow was too time consuming and dangerous to windows.  What I would do before the big snow was to drive both the truck and the car down to the end of the driveway just right up to the sidewalk.  That way I had minimal shoveling to get both vehicles ready to hit Chambers Street.

The picture above is a sunrise after a nice fresh snowfall.  The year is 2002.  That is from the downstairs bathroom window, I believe.  According to the Farmer's Almanac for Galesburg on that date, March 4th,  the high was 19 degrees.  On March 3rd, snow was forecast with a high of 33.  The things you can find on the Internet.  If you are interested in the weather for a particular date just go here:

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/search-results/

Yes, I can honestly say I love snowfalls and blizzards in the Midwest.  Now once I was over in BFE it became a little different matter.  Being 16-20 miles from work and groceries can have its charms.  Having lived in the village of Seaton growing up I can attest to the unmistakable freedom of pretty much doing whatever you want,as long as it didn't bother your neighbors.  But in Galesburg there are regulations, rules, laws and a certain decorum that prevented you from, say, squalling around in a pick-up, or shooting windows out of an abandoned house.  Or firing up a 4-wheeler and racing around.

In a snow event that 16-20 miles becomes downright life threatening.  The last winter I was there I had to get into Blick for my work, which was between G-burg and Knoxville.  I got stuck on the main road two or three times once and got out of the tall snow by sheer luck and rocking the truck.  And this was in the tracks made by other cars and trucks!  I recall several trips from G-Burg home to BFE going 15 miles an hour with my head out the window, getting pelted by snow and ice pellets, just so I could see the edge of the road.

That's all part of the charm of Illinois living.  It's part of having four seasons,  of having a blazing fire in the fireplace, of hot chocolate, of school cancelled.  I sure miss it.  I guess in Florida the grass is always greener.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant