Skip to main content

Galva Freedom Fest Car Show - Part 2

I used to do a lot of car shows when I was a resident in Northlandia.  I found them relaxing and a great way to show off what is called in some quarters "rolling art".   I had some pretty great cars back then and coming home with a trophy wasn't unusual.  When I moved to Florida I moved the cars and we can debate some other time how wise that decision was.  Nowadays after having purchased a pristine and rare Dodge 880 whenever I am in Northlandia I try to catch a show.  Last year I was able to go to the Railroad Days Car Show in G-Burg and this year I had the opportunity to attend Galva's show after Miss Frump was released front the hospital.  She is no trophy-getter, and 4 door's are generally considered bottom-feeders, but I like having something no one else has, so I bought the Frump and hope to add another at some point before I cash in my chips.  

Having said all that, it was fun to get back in the show scene if only for a day.  JC joined me with her Pontiac Fiero so I had good company for the day, which, sometimes can drag if you don't have things to do to keep you occupied.  

Good company, a visit from S-I-L Patti, lots of neat cars and a lunch special that was pretty decent and you have the makings of a fun day.  No, neither one of us got a trophy, but if you lower your expectations, then walking away empty handed doesn't hurt so much.  

Here, then, are some pictures of some of the cars on display.  




Great park setting with lots of room for everyone.  


There's the Frump sitting regally next to a 66 Ford Galaxie and a 62 Chevy Impala.


This was a trophy winning Buick.  


A really nice 67 Plymouth Fury.  I had one of these back in high school.  It was a 4-door, however.


I haven't the foggiest idea what this monstrosity is.  It is some kind of freak car changed to drag thingie.  Horrible.  But certainly garnered a lot of attention.  And why not, kind of like walking around with your dick out.  




An over-presented new car that has been featured in some movie, complete with references to passages from the Bible.  I'm rendered mute.



A Viper.





A 1956 Messerschmitt.


A non-stock, customized and bastardized 1942 Ford.



I have no idea what this is.  A customized dune buggy?  Can you tell I like stock/factory cars rather than garage re-do's?  I wouldn't be caught dead in this thing, and I'd rather take a bus to the beach than this.


Buy a new truck, paint some stuff on it, put a flag on it and take it to a car show.  And probably win something.  Ugh.


Just like a novelty song like the Monster Mash, this is a car show novelty:  a hearse with a casket cooler being towed.  There are shows exclusively for vehicles of this type.  I think a hearse is fine to show if it is stock, they are unique; but doing it this way cheapens it, I think.  I'm in the minority on my views, since this was a well attended entry, but for me, dignity is sacrificed when you turn a regal car into a circus attraction. 


Oh Lord.  I saw something like this hanging on my ceiling once.


Always popular 'Vettes.



Food at these things are always quite good if limited.  Pork burgers, brats or hot dogs are usually the choices and always, always good.  Today for about six bucks you got the sandwich, some coleslaw, a bag of chips and a soda.  Plus, any proceeds goes to next year's car show costs.

Well, great.  It was a fun day and now I have several other old car options to choose from in the next couple of weeks.  The apex will be the Bushnell Car Show on the 23rd.  It is a good one because they have actual judging and judging sheets.  I'm interested in seeing how the Frump does in that setting, rather than the "participant" judging that seems so skewed toward flashy red muscle car types.  

Finally, there is nothing quite like driving down the road in something 50 years old that most people have never seen before.  It's heady to get those stares.  It was fun to be back and doing what I spent a lot of time doing back in the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant