Skip to main content

Flashback Friday

I was just going through a treasure trove of old pictures that I found that belonged to me while at Mark's place.  Among them were these pictures of we three boys at home on Christmas Eve, 1972.  

Things of note:

  • Marj believed in big trees.  In earlier times she flocked them with a DIY spray.  These were beautiful trees, usually decked out in blue lights and balls but very little else.  Minimal splendor.
  • The fireplace was still operational but seldom used.  It would be a few years after that they would convert it to gas, take away those louvered gates and use it regularly.  Man, that fire would heat the whole room in nothing flat.   
  • One of the traditions was to have shrimp cocktail for something to munch on before the big meal.  It is a tradition I have tried to carry on.   
  • Another tradition of sorts was my arrival in subsequent Christmases' as early as possible.  I'd leave G-Burg with everyone asleep and head over to Seaton where Marj would fix a breakfast of French toast and sausage.  Her French toast was made with Texas bread and her sausage patties the size of burgers.  We'd all goof around then Herb and I would maybe have Scotch and Water and wait for others to arrive.  
  • We sometimes had to work around other's work schedules.  Sometimes the Wombie would be on call and we'd have to schedule the family Christmas some other day, or I'd have to work at the Mary and throw everything off.  On those times, Herb and I would head up to the Club for a Red Rooster.   
  • I don't know how common this little family tradition is, but we used to have to open our gifts individually while others looked on.  It was a way to see what others got, and convenient to acknowledge the gift giver.  Personally I would prefer not to have the spotlight on me.  But I didn't make the rules.



Personally, I don't remember why most everyone is half naked.  But it looks very much like Phil is jabbing me in the back or otherwise pestering my flank,  his evil grin gives him away.  Marj took the picture with my Polaroid and while Phil and I are having fun, it very much looks like Mark is more worried about the gift count.  

The gift count was a kind of ongoing tabulation of number of presents for each person.  It was done to add excitement to the proceedings and was done periodically up to Christmas morning.  It was also a good way to whine for more if your personal count stated to lag.    



Okay, so this is freaky.  Phil grabs the camera and says cheese or something similar and we all look sullen.  Three horses walk into a bar, and the bartender asks, "Hey, why the long faces?"  Maybe he said an asteroid was racing toward Seaton and all life in or around the area would expire in mere minutes.  Clearly a photographer who has yet to learn how to rev up his subjects.  




Another variation as we change seats and subjects.  This would have been a tough time for Marj.  The twins having said bye to high school and heading off the college, signaling the empty nest phase, made all the emptier by Herb's temporary absence.  She did not lack for friends, however, and for this year, we were all still there, for each other.     





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant