Skip to main content

In The Interest Of Fairness

I have spent some time lately bashing this state, and, gee, why not?  Florida is an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire.  I'm still looking for my exit visa but these things must be done delicately.  It's not that there are no positives in the Cocklebur State, it's just that there are greater positives outside the state lines.

So, in the interest of fairness here are some good things about Florida.




  


  • You can ride a motorcycle every day of the year.  You may have to bundle up on some mornings, but it can be done.  Before the bike club I used to ride with disbanded there were a couple Sunday morning group trips that were cancelled because of the chill.  But I have always kind of liked cold weather riding.  Just bundle up, wear a helmet with a face shield, gloves and, oh yes, socks, and there's nothing to it. 




  • A certain wee one who likes me in spite of all my faults.  And a pool in my back yard.  Actually, no offense to anyone else down here, you are all adults, but Norah is the most compelling case to stay here.  The poor thing is crazy for me and I feel a certain responsibility toward her.  





  • Just next to the main gate at Bedlam is this road.  Sense of humor or just mad coincidence?  For you who may be too young to remember, Mockingbird Lane is the street the Munsters lived on in the old 60's TV show.   




  • The Privateer Lynx still spends half the winter in St. Pete.  I missed her all of last winter but this year I will renew my love affair with the Tall Ship, Lynx.  
  • Summer is brutal but winter here is a joy.  We had a nice cold snap from the North a couple weeks ago but we are now back in the upper 70's during the day and mid 60's at night.  I prefer the cold snaps.   
  • "Papa Thursdays"


That's the day I get to make microwave Mac & Cheese, dish out ice cream and act like a three-year-old.  We have recently made cakes and then sent them home with her, too.  I think I have hit on a secret as well:  rugged series of calisthenics upon arriving topped off with a brisk run around the tennis courts tires her just enough that by 3:00 PM she is ready for a nap. 


Let's see, is there anything else?  Hmmm.  Uh, no income taxes.  Guess that's about it.  All in all, I'd rather be in Northlandia.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant