Skip to main content

Trip To Northlandia - Part 1

Yippee!  I've kept it a secret and I'm heading to Northlandia for 10 days.  The Wombie is having a retirement party and I'm going to surprise him.    



Allegiant Air had a birthday present for me going up AND coming back down:  an empty seat beside me.  What a great surprise.  Its just easier that way.  Not so scrunched, less shallow chit-chat, and a chance to stretch and think.  Thanks Allegiant.  





I always get a window seat.  I never tire of the sky and view.



 

Speaking of flying, people sure are in a hurry when we land.  They may want to stretch their legs but some are just in a hurry and clog the aisles.  They can't go anywhere anyway, so why do it?



I thought this was the product of a skunk and black horse having mated.  Turns out it is a "paint".   My theory was more interesting.  Saw this guy around Knoxville.



As usual part of the fun of returning home is the food not available in Florida.  Tenderloins, great pizza, and this LaGondola heavenly creature.  This is a Torpedo that is the best sub you can buy.  Even managed to bring 3 home with me for the family.  Stuffed them in a USPS flat-rate box and crammed it in my suitcase.  Handled the flight well, and was the featured entire for that night's family get-together to watch Walking Dead.  Personally, I think it's the longest hour on TV, but it's fun having the party.

My friend JC picked me up at the airport and brought me to my truck in G-Burg but I was a craving a tenderloin for my birthday so we went to Gray's.  JC gave me a birthday card and made a big enough deal about it that other customers overheard.  As one guy was leaving he stopped over and gave me a birthday candle fashioned out of paper he had.  Only in the Midwest.  


Got my camera, put on my big boy pants for socializing,  got my rented lens,  a place to sleep, and ready to have some fun up North. Hope you will join me in the adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant