Skip to main content

Flashback Friday


It is now the heart of winter up North.  It's been cold for awhile with yet much more yet to before it begins to abate and Spring comes filtering slowly in.  I present you with a picture from Summer many years ago.  Cold drink close by (and would someone please tell me what that is!) cigarette in hand and modern communications at the ready.    




This is your blogger in full summer hippiedom.  Matching my tank top with the wallpaper was no easy trick.  And shorts any shorter would have had to watch where I put the cigarette.   Long haired college kid - must have thought I was the smartest person in the room, and I would have been if I'd been alone with the dog - maybe.  

Looking at that picture I see how important that phone was in the daily lives of people.  It was the only form of instant communication short of a news alert on TV.  From this chair, Marj could talk to her neighborhood friends and catch up on the news of the hour.  The second most important thing is the dishwasher.  It was used extensively for a while, then it broke down, and then it became storage and a convenient table of sorts.  Actually I remember it not working more often than working.  I'm sitting in her seat and with her bad hips, the dishwasher/table became a convenient way to brace herself when getting up.  

The table was a neat, sleek looking thing: no legs, instead a center column.  Marj was always re-doing something, it seemed.  The flowered wallpaper screams Laugh-In and the bright colors were definitely 70's era.  The kitchen was the hub throughout the year with maybe the back porch a substitute during the summer months.  

The white handled item on the far left in the center of the table was, I think, a vinegar jar.  We had spinach a lot and I think that jar was in the center for a good portion of our lives.  Some things never changed and that white vinegar jar was one of them.  

I have no idea what was going on specifically on this day, but the tank top, shorts, cig and long hair place me firmly in a nice little bubble of no job, no worries, no money and no damn sense.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant