Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

1.  Comet Lovejoy 


Picture taken by Denis Crute in Australia

Word is out that in mid-to-late January the Northern hemisphere will be able to view a new comet streaking 48,000,000 miles away.  It has been visible in the southern hemisphere for a while and I will be heading out of town, camera in hand, toward dark country if I can figure out which road to take.  It is Comet Lovejoy or Q2.  Can't wait.  I think Tybee Island or North Henderson residents would have a lot better chance to see it than I.  

2.  Jimmy Luv's

You may remember that I loved Jimmy's Luv Bloody Mary mix I discovered last trip up to Northlandia.  Neighbor Tim was running low on beer but he did have BM mix.  I was so taken by the stuff that I sent away for three bottles.  What a great way to start the New Year.   

3.  Enjoy It While You Can

The lower gas prices is like getting a major raise.  It is a bubble that should be appreciated by everyone, but it won't last forever.  One of these months some guy behind the curtain will blink and decide that they need to increase their bank account and prices will rise.  Sounds like low prices will stick around for awhile, it is a grand opportunity to impose your own tax and squirrel your savings away.  10 bucks every gas fill-up will sure add up after a while.

4.  For You Army of Norah Watchers




5.  Congrats to Tim, Mark and Kenzie who were the winners of the first week of the 2nd Playoff Lotto.  We had 10 participants and always could use more suckers er, I mean players for next week.  

6.  First Norah-less weekend ever.  I'm calling my attorney - I have rights.

7.  Mr. Sutor, the mastermind behind Bodine-DILLIGAF, wrote an interesting essay last Friday about our extreme connection to technology.  He decided to go without all devices (well, almost all) including the internet last Sunday.  

On Saturday I was at 5 Guys, the best burger joint anywhere, and noticed how right Jeff is.  This is a picture of some people outside the place and notice how ALL 4 are isolated from others, even their companions, working their media devices.  Of course, what shouldn't be lost is that I had my techy device at the ready also.   



  I'm sorry to say that I am too reliant upon it all to forgo it even for a day.  I admire Mr. Sutor's insights into the inter-connected-ness of us to them and less to each other, but that's how I get my news.  Whenever I travel (or stay at the Wombie's) and am not connected I find myself scouring the air for some cloud or Wi-Fi signal that will give me my fix.  I know I am like an addict needing their next infusion of drugs that will ease their pain and generally accept my condition as a cost of progress.  I have basically given up TV,  print newspapers and physical books, and while I am not happy to be part of the herd,  I prefer it to waiting for the paper boy,  or using 48 cents stamps or the phone to communicate.  I'm a people person (ask anyone), but it might be preferable to being too interconnected to them as well.  I suppose now I'll have to return my Tybee Island-Savannah Candy Kitchen Gopher Award.       



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant