Skip to main content

Watching


I have always felt rather uneasy that I have abandoned my peeps up North to handle the snow and snarky weather by themselves.  When I was up there I loved the feeling of an impending blizzard.  Maybe it was the thrill of childhood school cancellations.  Maybe the knowledge that being "snowed" in wouldn't be all bad nestled next to a warm roaring fire in the fireplace we had on Chambers Street.  Maybe the linked kinship that we were all in the same boat kind of thing.  

I'd park my truck to the end of the long driveway, make sure the snowblower was gassed up and ready to go, and withstand the rugged Midwestern winter with the glee of a 9 year old.  And there was nothing quite like a darkened room, fire blazing with flakes blowing with varying degree of ferocity across the window panes.  

But now, in Florida, all I can do watch from afar.  Floridians get soft and addled from lack of weather.  Weather makes us stronger.  Frostbit fingers add stiffener to spines and numbed toes add heft to balls.     




So here I am, window open in Bedlam.  Bry (Mudflap) zonked out after a short walk snoring on the bed, with my usual winter cameras waiting and watching for weather.  I have a battery of cams stationed in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and the Quad Cities looking at snow, ice, whatever nature throws at my peeps.   



All of the pictures here were taken on Friday (January 9th) morning.  The top two are 2 of 4 cams on the campus of Iowa Wesleyan College,  educational center of Southwestern Iowa and Jerry's pizza.  


This is the KWQC cam looking toward Davenport, Iowa.  There are a total of about 6 - 8 cams I can access at any time.  There used to be one in Macomb but it seems to have gone offline.  I'd rather have one surveying the everyday bustle in BFE but I doubt if that is happening very soon.  



I have also discovered this camera positioned around Tybee Island, home of the Sutors.  This is a cam from Spanky's looking out toward the Atlantic ocean.  

So while I may not be spinning tires on hardened ice up North, or trying to melt frozen snot out of my mustache, I am with you in spirit.  I feel your pain and wish I could spend a half hour or so scooping snow and wondering if I can make it back to the door for warmth.  Winter has just started and I am with you. 

And just to prove to you that I can also access cameras in my neck of the woods, here is a local shot, also taken on Friday to show you we are all bound by the rigors and Hell of Winter. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant