Skip to main content

Flashback Friday




Graduation season is here.  Just discovered these two pictures of my high school graduation.  By the way, I guess posed pictures have their place in family albums, but generally speaking, if given the opportunity, pictures that are unstaged are usually the best.  With me is the Wombie, of course, on the right and situated in between is Barb Seaton.  She was one of the Seaton gang and graduated with us.  This was taken in our dining room.  There is that blue glass piece that I continue to look for in antique shops on the left.  If I'm not mistaken, that was in my possession at one time and met its demise by a cat.  Reason #1,234,654 to hate the little darlings.    



Propped on the organ bench is my diploma along with a Schlitz can.  I'm not sure what a can of beer and my diploma signifies, since I wouldn't be legal for alcohol for another few years.  Legality aside obtaining beer was no problem back in those days.  It was who you knew and certain doctored drivers license that I still have in my possession.  Besides,  I never did anything illegal or untoward when I was in high school.  Did I?

Barb was a Seaton and having your family found the town made them village VIP's.  John, her dad, was the Mr. Potter of the town but in a nice way.  John and Doris were pretty cool and of course the other kids, Terry and Bill were OK, too.  Doris is still alive and in the Cities someplace, as is Barb and her family.  When Doris left Seaton a few years ago it marked the first time, ever, that there was no Seaton in Seaton.      

High school graduation was a stepping stone along the path to adulthood.  We were all unfinished vessels at that age.  It's sad when I hear of people who never return to their reunions, not even once.  Some kind of unresolved bitterness toward classmates or events prevent them from placing those days in proper context.  To judge us at that point in our lives is like judging humanity at the point we all slimed our way onto the shore for the first time.  Whatever hurts, whatever embarrassments, whatever pain suffered in high school shouldn't ride your shoulders for a lifetime.  If you bullied, make amends.  If someone bullied you, seek them out and ask for an apology.  Or maybe better yet, just move on.  Luckily we didn't have too much of a problem - bro Phil was a senior when the Wombie and I were freshman, and being part of the Seaton gang provided a certain cover.  But whatever slights I did receive have all long ago been forgotten and replaced by more important, more relevant events.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant