Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits



December 2015


July 2016

Last December I took this picture of a tree not far from the pumphouse in Seaton.  About three weeks ago there was a pretty good blow in Northlandia and you can see that a section of that tree broke.  It's beauty is now gone.   I understand the owner is planning on bringing it all down soon.

++++++++++



Alfred ready for some beach action.

++++++++++


Since I first arrived back in Emerald City, the Wombie and his water partner have been fighting to comply with new EPA testing in Seaton.  Tests have warranted a boil order for the village.  We took many trips to Cities for sample testing.  Finally, the tests came back good and the order has been lifted.  The above sample was the first of two good samples.  Naturally I advised the Wombie on how I would handle the situation, and will be accepting a consultant fee, when offered.

++++++++++




For those of you old-timers who lived in the G-Burg area,  the above picture of Packinghouse cinnamon rolls will make your mouth water uncontrollably.  For those of you never having had one, I can tell you without reservation that these are the best ever made.  I had lunch with old friends and one of them kept asking the waitress for more long after we'd finished and paid the bill.  Wonderful friend, with balls.  I took these home and enjoyed them later.  Thanks, Rosita.

++++++++++



Seen on a bypass up in the Cities.  Anyone know what it is?

++++++++++



Semi must have taken the ramp too hard and tipped over.  Another scene from the Cities.

++++++++++


These guys were babies when I last saw them.  They are Knox (L) and Presley (R) and they are 2 of nephew Courtney's kids.  Made it up to Port Byron to bro Philip's place while Court and his wife Brooke were there.  Nice time and always great to see Courtney.  Thanks for a good time, Phil and Jeanne.


++++++++++

Getting back to those Cinnamon rolls again, the friend with balls was Rose M., someone I can't get enough of.  Funny, and tells great stories (that's a lost art, guys) and she was one of the really good ones who walked the halls at the Mary with me.  She relayed to me that she often made comments on the blog but that they wouldn't be posted.  

Note to Rose (and anyone else wanting to comment) first, I post all comments from viewers who do so, regardless of whether it is positive or not.  Second, in order to post you have to have an account with Google.  Easy to get.  Rose, get your account and post  to your hearts content.  And let's go back to the Packinghouse when I return. 

++++++++++


I'm being transferred again.  I have been told it is because of good behavior, but you know screws, they'll tell you anything to get you to do what they want.  Bedlam by the Bay was pretty good, overall, and just when I was ready to make a break from it, they send me to some place called Waterboard Apartments.  Pretty picture, huh?  Don't believe it.  They pretty these places on the outside to keep the neighbors thinking all is well, but inside, it's the usual prison thing.  Bedlam is undergoing some renovations and clearing out most "patients".  The transfer is taking place mid-month so I should be settled in soon.  Of course I will provide a full report. 

++++++++++ 

Last month I mentioned seeing a crop in Northlandia that looked like soybeans but were blooming.  How could you have a ripe crop in May?  After asking around I found out that it was a field of potatoes.  Potatoes?  In Illinois.  Hmm.  Who knew? 

+++++++++++

Does it seem like the flag spends more time at half-mast than full these days?

++++++++++

Thanks also to Tim and Carrie for a great 4th of July fireworks show.  More on that later. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant