Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

It is Tuesday after the Storm as I write this.  I just returned from my 3 am round-the-block walk.





The whir of generators was unmistakable through out the walk.

Kenzie and Drew just had their power turned on as I was over letting the dog out.  They stayed at our place at Waterboard.  The blocks before and after theirs are still without power. 


I had to go around fallen limbs a few times as much of the debris is yet to be cleared. 








Some blocks are still without power.



This is an area of one of the main arteries around here. Still dark.





Still no gas.


Evacuees have left the Largo High School.





A bottle outside the high school.  Liquid courage, hope or simply a sedative.   



Still some lines down.



When does Denny's ever close?



++++++++++



No, thank God, this isn't one of my old school papers.

++++++++++



While in Northlandia I had the opportunity and good fortune to be away from cells, phones, calls, texts, and emails for a while from time to time.  It was refreshing and psychically naughty.  I am going to try and do this more often.  I am going to make it a priority to keep the device home when I take off doing something fun.  Then, when I return, it will be like opening presents. Win-win.  We all should.  Really.

++++++++++




Mr. and  Mrs. Wombie have this indescribably fresh/weird/cool sense of humor that allows for the planting of their Scream mask in odd places.  I saw it on my 5k run this summer and in my front yard at the Cabin.  I had the honor of being there at one of its placements.  Here it was stuck in the field opposite the home of friends.  



++++++++++


"I've always liked quiet people.  You never know if they're dancing in a daydream or if they're carrying the weight of the world."
- John Green

Hands down the best description of introverts I have ever seen.

(P.S.  It's usually the weight of the world.)

++++++++++



Two old folks (this is his scooter, she has already turned into the first aisle) are in the grocery store using these carts for the first time.  Both received instruction on how to use and both seemed confused.  In fact she took off in the wrong direction and a Publix employee had to chase her down.  I left and couldn't watch, but wonder how many people they ran into and how many displays they tipped over.

  ++++++++++






The high school above that the day before was emptied of evacuees now becomes a staging center for power company trucks and employees.  As I was taking these pictures a security officer yelled at me and said I couldn't take pictures of a staging area.  I replied that I was on a public sidewalk.  She couldn't explain the rule, she was just enforcing it.   Stupid rule. 


++++++++++


"In 1850 those deficient in schooling knew their deficiencies, and wanted to learn. Today there is an actual preference for ignorance, which is regarded as authentic or democratic and morally superior to knowing anything. “He is street smart,” conveys approbation that once would have been expressed by “He is a man of taste and discrimination.” Once learning or even the desire for it has been lost, they do not readily return.



The Vandals are within the gates. But they are all texting each other."



Fred Reed

++++++++++



Harry Dean Stanton wasn't my favorite or anywhere near it, but I liked him when I saw him in something.  He lent a kind of coolness to every role.  One of my buddies liked Repo Man and wanted me to watch it.  I didn't get it, and wouldn't watch it again, but I liked Stanton.  I ran across this little vid where he sings and I thought it a pretty good idea of an old guy, singing an old guys song, looking toward the past and maybe the future.



++++++++++





++++++++++

The word I fear most of all: mediocre.

++++++++++

My most recent Wal-Mart visit.



I think that's quite enough for this week.

++++++++++

OK, one more thing.  Saw this the other day while on the road.

A dent in a van.


And an explanation.

(It says Bike Week)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant