Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits



++++++++++





32,000 years ago, during the Ice Age, a squirrel buried a seed in Northeast Siberia.  That seed was found and was grown into a flower.  How cool is that?


++++++++++







++++++++++


Businesses that make money by collecting and selling detailed records of private lives were once plainly described as “surveillance companies.” Their rebranding as “social media” is the most successful deception since the Department of War became the Department of Defense. 

Edward Snowden


++++++++++




Last week I gave you a rooster.  This week on my early morning walk I discovered frogs.


++++++++++

Adventures In Babysitting





Some days are really long.


++++++++++




Update on that post office mess in Seaton, Illinois.  Remember a few months ago I was informed by friend Jeff in Tybee Island, Georgia that the Savannah news had a piece about the Seaton post office.  Mold forced the evacuation of the place and they were running the office out of a van parked next to the fire station.  Well, last time I was in Northlandia I took this picture of a bank of post boxes that a re kind of common in apartment complexes.  Good move.  On top of that the government has accepted Seaton's offer to house the post office in the old bank building.  I knew you were all dying for the latest update on that whole business.  Now you know.    

++++++++++



So, Facebook conspired with the Russkies to influence the election?  And they did that by selling my data to the creeps who were behind it all?  And the owner Zuckerberg knew all this was going on but decided to take the money and run anyway? I understand my data is probably not too interesting but they can still send me crap they think me or the Russkies deem relevant.  See Snowden comment above again.  Me thinks I definitely won't buy any products advertised, make many stops to view, nor make too many comments, if at all.  Now if I can only get up the courage to "delete".

++++++++++




I miss Kool Aid.  Or maybe I miss being a kid.

++++++++++

I know you think you will have to see the movie that won Best Picture this year, The Shape of Water.  But I hated it.  Boring, comic booky, one-dimensional bad guy.  Baffling plot, Hollywood thinking we're all 12 years old. I also didn't like The Florida Project and thought The Darkest Hours was kind of limp.   Maybe its me.  Dunkirk was good.  

I haven't like the winners for years - last two I liked was Argo in 2012 and The King's Speech in 2010.





++++++++++

My Wednesday off scheme looks to be a thing of the past.  Daycare's have so many slots so drop-ins is a tough proposition.  Alfred's spot at ABC has been taken by a full-timer.  

++++++++++




This floor is perfectly flat.  It was designed to keep people from running in the hallway.

++++++++++

Poor Melania.



++++++++++


I was forced to watch bassaball Sunday waiting for Stormy's interview.  I have to say the bassaball game was more interesting.  And I hate bassaball.


++++++++++  

The temps have risen from the 70's to the 80's.





And with it our little lizards return to the open areas looking for warmth.  Reason #471 not to like Kitschland.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant