Skip to main content

Art Show

A week or so ago I was accompanied by the current Mrs. Blythe to an art exhibit in Straub Park just off of Vinoy Park.  Yeah, kind of parky in downtown St. Pete.  I took some pics.  One or two may interest you.




This is the old Vinoy Hotel.  Very ritzy.  Very upper crusty.  Valets, doormen, that sort of thing.  Local legend says the bell tower is haunted.  I'm not much interested in the legend but my guess it was a disgruntled turn of the century patron who, while sipping on his Gewurztraminer, and wearing socks, sandals and a camel brown safari suit, received his bill and, while attempting to elude the establishment gendarme toppled over and fell from said high perch.  Oh, well, maybe my version isn't that good after all.      



Here is the Tall Ship Lynx which makes its winter home in the St. Pete marina.  I've had two sails on her, and perhaps I'll try another before she sets off for her summer runs. 




The art was expensive and the weather was great.  I always get pumped when I go to these - wanting to head home and start about 10 canvases.  But, alas, like a night at the NHCC, the inebriation always wears off.






This is a shot looking down the seawall along the bay.  Thousands of little fishies swimming in search of what little fishies search for.




This is a land populated by old hippies who simply can't give it up.  Like oversized drag queens with too much make-up and too much perfume, mega high heels and too little shame they inhabit this land like those little fishies above, and easy to spot.  Pony-tails with caps to hide the balding.  Sandals, beer-bellies, and a guitar warbling hits that are half a century old.  All they lack is a protest poster and their parents old Buick LeSabre.
    



Skylines are rather nice.  I have been to Dement's Landing several times in the wee hours to photograph the St. Pete skyline.  It doesn't have the dramatics during the day.  But it is still nice with all the masts of the boats.  It is like Keithsburg's, without the buildings or the boats. 




I have tried riding a bike with flip-flops before.  This guy has either perfected it, like I was never able to, or soon he will be fumbling around with kid and dog trying to keep the bike upright while threading his toes in the appropriate slot.  Godspeed.






I spotted this guy in the branches of a tree along the marina.  I have no idea what he is - but he seemed content people watching.






This is the construction site of the new whatever-the Hell it is they are building.  This pier used to be the site of the iconic inverted pyramid until they discovered the salt water was eating away the cement pylons. So much for iconic.  Now we will have a new iconic.

And that was it.  Nice day for taking a stroll in St. Pete.  Thanks for strolling with me.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant