Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

My old buddy Mike Johnson said they should've stopped making movies after John Wayne died.  This isn't about John, Mike, or westerns.  It's about movie art.











John Wayne movie posters seem redundant.  Same blueprint, it seems for all of his stuff.  Just plant his face on the cover with some small scene to the side.  Name another Hollywood star who commands that kind of artwork.



++++++++++



Went to the Mall for the first time in ages to renew my hazy hatred of the place.  In the food court I saw this guy. 

So, how did he do it?  Yes, he took the mask off.



++++++++++





Saw this mushroom at Sinkhole Estates.  Reminded me of one of the Wombie's shank shots into the rough.



++++++++++





++++++++++

Update on Whizzbang, aka Dumbstruck the Wonder Pup











We've been taking walks over to Datsko Park.  Wears the little sonofabitch down so I get some peace and quiet before the kids arrive.  


++++++++++

Poppycock is a fun word.  Never seen a poppy with one.  Where did it come from?  It's a Dutch term: pap (soft), kak (dung).  Yep, makes sense.  Class dismissed.


++++++++++ 





++++++++++




++++++++++

I admit I have an irrational fear of snakes.  I will scream like a woman/girlchild when I see one unexpectedly.  I have family members dropping all manner of things at my feet and shoulders constantly in the hopes that I will be stunned into hysteria.  Norah will sneak up behind me and go "Sssssssss."  Funny girl.  Kenze will drop palm fronds in front of me.  Two funny girls.  Ha ha. Just for fun I watch YouTube videos of snake-on-snake battles to the death.  

Part of my early morning walkjog is in almost total darkness.  There is a stretch of my circuit that has no streetlights.  I can faintly see the sidewalk but nothing in particular detail.   That allows my imagination to run wild.  This is the rainy season down here.  Lots of the usual sunny skies but lots of moisture in the Gulf so you can have sporadic quick showers.  That's means water - and that means wet ground.  I started to imagine all the snake dens being waterlogged on my route and snakes coming up for dry or air or me.  I have even begun walkjogging on the road in some places to avoid areas that are overgrown and encroaching on the sidewalk (I fear they will climb the bushes and stick out in my path to take me down). 

  
My fear is to walkjog on one of the snakes and have it swirl around and dig its sharp venom-filled fangs in my calf.  I know I am wrong about it all - they can sense movement on the pavement and cement and will quickly hide from approaching objects.  I know they are generally shy and want to avoid me as much as I want to avoid them.  I can have moments of rationality.

And then I took Whizzbang along this same route in the daylight up to Datsko Park and at the entrance to the apartment complex I saw it!  It was a dead snake - not fast or concerned enough about that big approaching object that ran over it - laying there.  It was pretty good sized, too.  Smashed but a big signal to anyone who can think that yes, I did have a right to worry!

My morning walkjogs just got tougher.  Remember - paranoia is just a heightened sense of awareness.

++++++++++

They grow slugs big down here.





This gentle giant was racing to the top of the back fence.

++++++++++



I have decided to stop being a Mets fan until 1) Wilpons sell the team, or 2) let the new GM do it his or her way without interference from ownership.

I will begin shopping around for a new team.  Cub boosters need not apply.

++++++++++




During my early morning walk I noticed in an overgrown area this very large night bloom.  The next night it was gone and I haven't seen one since.  I guess it only blooms at night, and only once.  

++++++++++


The reason Norah looks so sad?  Last Friday was the last day she was at Papa's Daycare.   School started yesterday.  I'm so much fun.

++++++++++


   

Let's do it.

++++++++++

Speaking of doing it.  In 1976 I spray painted a peace sign on the Seaton blacktop that stayed there forever, or at least till the next blacktopping.  I think it is time to place another sign.  



Hey, Wombie?  You up for it?

++++++++++

Until next week.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant