Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits








T
hey are starting a new smartphone ap news service called SmartNews.  This app provides both the right and left side of the news, or if you prefer: Fox and then all the other objective news outlets.  My prediction is that it will fail.  It will fail because we don't want to hear all sides of an issue.  We want only that which conforms to our personal views.  


++++++++++






++++++++++

As loyal readers know, I rise early to get a head start on the day.  It takes till noon for everyone else to catch up and by 5 I'm lost in their dust.  It suits me.  Anyway, I take a nice 3 mile walk and lately I have been stopping at the Melrose By the Bay apartment complex to sneak into their unlocked fitness room and treadmill a few extra steps.  Melrose is currently the home of Atilla the Hen and I don't want to say they are a bit seedy but their kids walk across the street to Sinkhole Estates and rip off stuff that isn't nailed down.  Oh, and they had a little murder a few months ago too.  yeah, I guess seedy is the right word.  Last week I stopped in for a few extra minutes on the treadmill and this is what greeted me.
   



It's gotten a little chillier here in the past few days and I guess the homeless wanted to get in somewhere for the night. Homeless spooners.  Sweet.  I didn't disturb them and went on home.


++++++++++



People up north have to battle flies in the summer.  We don't have flies here, but we do have pests.  These guys are all over the place.  









I'd still take these guys over flies.  They don't get in all over your face.  They do get everywhere else, though.

Open any box that has been in your closet for a year and you will invariably find these dessicated remains.

This is one creepy state, this among many reasons.





++++++++++


I'm no conspiracy nut but this guy is right about voting being broken.  Between deceptive ballots, voter suppression and machine/hand counts, there does seem to be a problem.  Back in  the day, Hell we voted at least twice in Seaton and never had any problems.

++++++++++



++++++++++

It's been chilly down here but the pool is heated so we took a dip last week.


++++++++++



++++++++++



This was parked at Datsko Park last week.  It is a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere.  Pretty nice shape.  The owner said it only had 61,000 miles and the smallest engine Chrysler ever built, a 273 ci 6-banger.  He said it "...was so slow it took two days to get out of its own way." 


++++++++++


While in downtown St. Pete I took this picture of probably the prettiest architecture there.  There are newer buildings, but not as ornate or elegant as this one.

++++++++++

You guys up North weren't the only ones to get some white stuff this week.


 


I was in Lowe's on Friday and this was going on outside.  Briefly.  But it was enough to make my heart skip. 

++++++++++

I realize I promised no more politics, and there I go, starting the post with it.  I tried.  I really did.  But I happen to think the slow disintegration of our norms and values is a big deal.  I'l try to refrain, again.

++++++++++



++++++++++

Thanks Jeff for the shout-out to Whizzbang, aka, Dumbstruck the Wonder Pup in your excellent blog, Bodine-DILLIGAF, which I whole-heartily recommend.


++++++++++

It has not been a good year for Bear-hating.


++++++++++

Why is the Office of the Commissioner of baseball donating to the Mississippi senate runoff race?  When African Americans are finding other sports to spend their entertainment money on, and black kids no longer find baseball worth playing, why is baseball donating to someone who joked about lynchings and wears a Confederate cap?

++++++++++


“The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.”
— Joseph Campbell

++++++++++

And for those breathlessly waiting as to whether Atilla the Hen survived Thanksgiving...


He lives.  But is acting a bit suicidal.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant