Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits


The smell of Papa's Fish Market in Oquawka is one of those singular smells like morel mushrooms and lilacs in the Spring.  We stopped and got some kittyfish filets.  Sadly, time ran out and they are in the Wombie's freezer.  Wonder if they'll be there in August? Eat 'em, kids, we'll get more.



++++++++++




Attended the Alpha Car show with buddy Eddie from Peoria.  He and "The Group" helped me get this award.



++++++++++


Hey Zo.  Crap happens.  Your team needs you.  Marriages aren't lived in heaven, they're firmly planted on Earth. Go watch Dr. Phil and Oprah for a week, then dab your eyes and get back to Chicago.  What a Pussy.


++++++++++



See this?   You can't get this in Florida because of some arcane rule about using a machine for two types of meat.  You also can't find pea and cheese salad, brat burgers, tenderloins or Whitey's.  You can, however, stick 4 packages of Johnsonville brat burgers in your carry-on backpack and they will survive if frozen.  Had a couple on Memorial Day.


++++++++++  






This is not a cam view from a proctologist's office.  This is a hole in the side exterior wall of the old Legends bar and Grill in Emerald City.  Aquaman, aka Wombie, and I went there to change the water valve.  It will be reopening soon as "The Bar Next Door".



++++++++++




One of my oldest pals, KW from Mary Davis days.  I haven't been a very good friend for awhile but looked him up when I was back.  We used to back-road it with a 12-pack of beer back in the day.  Man, I've missed him.  I think we'll back road it again soon.


++++++++++  








A fun night at the bar in Emerald City.  Mike, Danny, Steve, Neil and Donna.  The Wombies  and others made it great.  I hung my introversion on the coat rack and had a hell of a great time.  


++++++++++





As I was flying into St. Pete-Clearwater after my 2 weeks at home, I noticed this little atoll off shore.  I visualized it being just me, a tiki hut and Whizzbang.  Alas, dreams seldom work out, as I got closer I noticed several boats around and people, Egads!! scattered around.  



++++++++++






I was surprised to see this pen in at the treatment plant.  It conjured up memories of when I was a student at High School.  These Bic pens were the go-to pen for all of us.  It may have been the first of its kind.  I guess they still make them, and why not?  That blue cap pocket holder was great for scratching itchy ears and that octagonal housing was used to tighten out cassette tapes.  



++++++++++





This seating section at the QC airport is cute and clever.



++++++++++







++++++++++


I have a hard time feeling sorry for the Mt. Everest climbers.  I know it is a tragedy and people are dying, but I can't shake the feeling that climbers are just a pampered subset of egotistical rich guys who just want to dominate dinner parties with their tales.


++++++++++ 







Spooky picture.


++++++++++




Did I mention that our retired water superintendent has un-retired is, once again, Aquaman?  Through a series of unfortunate events Emerald City was left with no one to turn on and off the city spigot.  Oh well, it gives us all a chance to go to another going away party at some point.  





Lastly - Whizzy and I usually take early morning walks. I wear this shirt that lets everyone know I'm not a robber.  High viz screams.  I decided to get Whizzbang one, too.  Cute, cute, cute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant