Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits


+++++++++++



This was a beautiful overnight natural creation in the Wombies yard last week. Genus: fungus amongus.

++++++++++


Just when I thought Northlandia sunrises couldn't get any better.


++++++++++
I'm trying to tone down the politics.  The life of an independent thinker in these tribal times is risky.  My subscription numbers have fallen dramatically since the election.  If I'm going to have my ass handed to me it's going to be over something more important than Donald Trump.  My advise?  "Steady, Lads."  

++++++++++

Exclusive Eclipse Pictures


Before




After

++++++++++




Picture of our mini-MDH get-together at Pat's place in Knoxville.  From left:  Julie (Secretary), Rebecca (Assistant Superintendent), Pat (Administrative Assistant,  Randy (Superintendent), Courtney (Supervisor), and Mike (Program Coordinator).


++++++++++










The quiet of the Cabin in the Woods will be invaded soon with the sounds of kids.  In two days my daycare clients, Norah and Alfred will be staying at the Cabin for the long Labor Day weekend.  I have plans for them as do their parents.  Hmmm.  I hope I don't get too whiney when I don't get my fill of them.  Fishing, hiking,  zip lining, kayaking, barge watching, vulture spotting, in short, conquering the county.



++++++++++

Mr. Coffee carafes freak me out.  The level markers on the pot seem so out of whack.  The six cup mark and the full 12 cup mark appears to be unreasonably out-of-proportion.  Is it just me?


++++++++++

A big applause for Pat in the group picture above.  She has just deployed to Texas for the Red Cross and it is the 25the or 26th time she has headed out to a national disaster.  I volunteered once to read "Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" to Kenzie's 3rd grade class.  I haven't found any reason to volunteer for anything since, much to my chagrin, unreasonably uninspiring funeral eulogy and empty karma jar.

++++++++++


Last Saturday was a great day of camaraderie at the Aledo Antique Days car show.  I had a hard time choosing between my usual old standby Bushnell, or keep it very local this year.  I like driving the car more than showing it but I chose Aledo because I helped break in a virgin.  My friend Richard from Burgess displayed his '85 Caddie for the first time.  We got nice spots right across from the registration table by getting there very early, like 6 am.  Right around the corner were former high school buddies Danny and Ed.  There was a steady stream of folks saying hi, some I knew, some I didn't, but should have.   Sadly, neither Richard, Danny or myself won anything, but Ed won one of the Top 75 awards with his nice '62 Chevy Impala.   

And I never took one picture.

++++++++++






For those readers with a combo eclipse and river barge compulsion, this is your lucky day.  This barge was slipping by in Keithsburg just as the eclipse was at its peak.  Enjoy, but clean up afterwards.

++++++++++  


New definition of being pissed at yourself:  driving from Emerald City to Keithsburg at 3:13 am in white-knuckled fog dodging deer and possum and finally seeing a barge in the distance imagining all the great shots you'll get with that kind of set-up and learning you failed to recharge the battery and coming back home without any pictures at all. 

++++++++++



Spontaneous gathering at Beer Bellies in Emerald City last Sunday.  From left: Dan, Neil, Donna, Bob, Holly and the Wombies right hand.  Where did Connie go?   






Bob is from England and is spending time with Neil over here in America.  A past military man, Bob provides us with the proper British RAF salute.  Her Majesty would be proud. 


++++++++++



The Wombie and I went together on this ceiling tile of the Iowa Wesleyan Tigers logo.  Beer Bellies is selling these tiles to customers for whatever.  When I return to Kitschland I am supposed to find the old Seaton Wolves logo and it too, then, will be memorialized for future drunks who fall off their bar stools and can read the tiles without craning their necks. 

++++++++++



It's cicada time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant