Skip to main content

More Inane Ramblings


1. Had a great breakfast last Sunday with bro Phil and Jeanne. Went to Iowa Machine Shed since you can't get to Port Byron from here. They had the biggest cinnamon rolls I have ever seen. Maybe softball size?


2. Saw "The Reader" this week. Powerful film. Winslett won an Oscar. I'm not sure it is for everyone, but I sure liked it.

3. Speaking of powerful films: I am reminded of a teacher at the Mary Davis Home who rejected my pleas to show "Schindler's List" during Holocaust Week. She said the film was inappropriate NOT for the Nazi atrocities, of which there were many, but rather for a short scene of two people making love without showing nudity. One of the more dumber thought processes I had ever seen. Speaking of Schindler, I think it should be shown in every classroom of every grade in every year. Like the survivors of the camps, we should "Never Forget." And shame on those who have bought into the extreme notion that the Holocaust never happened.

4. Kathy and Judy were fired from their 9-Noon slot on WGN last month. I keep a radio on for background noise and enjoyed them. They were fun, thoughtful and no topic was off limits.

5. My fantasy baseball team is languishing in 8th place. Looks like my 2 year supremacy will end, unless my guys can get it going. There is still time, but Lordy, the West Lake Dragons have a big big lead.

6. Pete's Plumbing and Heating in Galesburg is a questionable firm. They said I needed venting on my furnace and hot-water heater in an inspection for a prospective buyer. Tony's Plumbing and Heating said the furnace was properly vented and you don't need venting for an electric water heater. Think they may have been fishing for work? Hmmm.

7. Said goodbye to an old friend this week. Baby, my '62 Plymouth left for a new home in Massachusetts. Thanks to Tim, Chris, and Dave for consoling me.

8. Sammy Sosa officially retired last Wednesday with this remark: "I will calmly wait for my introduction to the Hall of Fame" and " I will not allow anyone to tarnish what I did on the field."
Mark McGwire got what, 23% and needed 75% for the HOF. Sammy, Sammy, Sammy. If you want in the Hall you'll have to buy a ticket like the rest of us.

9. Had a nice bike ride with the North Henderson gang last Saturday up to Brenny's. Then turned around and went to Davenport on Sunday. Trying to enjoy the "open road" while I can.

10. Speaking of "good-byes", and certainly less traumatic than the loss of Baby, but I also did not re-up my subscription to the Galesburg Register-Mail, after approximately 30 years. What I miss most is not the news (I get a lot online now), but grabbing a section to put my plate on when eating in front of the TV.

11. Best two words in English language? I don't know but I can come up with some:


"I hope" (see the last 5 minutes of Shawshank Redemption)
"No Regrets"
"You win"
"Kiss me"
"Kickstands Up"
"Family Reunion"
"Baby Girl"
"Baby Boy"
"Puppy Dog"

You get the idea. How many can you think of?

12. I recommended the HBO series "The Wire" last year on this blog. OK, who went out and got the series and watched it? No one! Your loss: the best series ever on TV. Not just my opinion but most TV critics agree.

Comments

  1. 2. See "The Changeling" with Angelina Jolie. True story that led to reforms in laws re. involuntary commitment.

    5+11. a. Siyonara, baby! b. Welcome, WLD.

    9. Thanks for calling me, loser-boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I forgot - also see Gran Torino. Clint, one of my favs, gettin' jiggy with my peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by the way, I like Clint's music that he wrote for the movie (and his other movies also) - the Gran Torino song at the end is haunting, somehow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant