Skip to main content

Inane Inanities

1.  In taking an early early walk around the Shawshank compound a few weeks ago, I came across an obviously distraught, shirtless man in his 30's holding his dog.  I approached warily and he said he was quite upset and that there was a suspicious car running around and people would get out and appeared to be casing homes.  He really was quite kerfuddled.  He had an accent and was clutching that dog for dear life.  He further said it looked like they were walking around with a newspaper or something like that in their hands.  I reassured him that he needn't fear the newspaper delivery boy.  He hugged his dog and thanked me.

2.  Things I don't care about anymore:  Olympics after the Opening ceremony,  the All-Star game,  celebrity news.

3.  Things I miss:  the ability to simply "get away" without instant communication always strapped to my belt,  Bodine-DILLIGAF,  my cojones (I seem to have lost them somewhere in the past 4 years,  a good unbreaded tenderloin,  Gene Hackman,  an effective government, a bowl of custard, car shows.

4.




This became quite the viral video, but it still bears seeing again.  The damn idiot could have killed someone with this ass-brained stunt.

5.  So James Carville thinks I'm going to elect the next president, huh?  The other day he said that there is a very slim segment of the population that are undecided about who to vote for in November.  The big block of voters voting for Romney and Obama cancel each other out, leaving it squarely in the hands of us undecideds.  Three months and I still am undecided.  Both candidates are dunderheads and I suspect I will simply wait and see:  then vote for the least incompetent.

6. In my seemingly endless quest to find my next four-legged best friend, I packed the family into Kenzie's car and having seen a good suspect online, travelled across the Skyway to Manatee Animal Services in Palmetto. Last week we went to a different place and Kenze found a cat, named Sookie.  Brendan was able to join us this week and everyone was lending their support for my benefit - all hoping this would be the end to the hunt.  Unfortunately my possible find fizzled, but, fortunately, Brendan found one.  Meet Sarah, a 6 month old Great Dane - Bull Mastiff mix.  She is an extremely sweet dog who appears to require little to no training.  I think I'm shutting my quest down.  But I couldn'be happier for the kids.  They have found really great companions.


Brendan's new friend, Sarah


7.  In the "Ewwww" department:


They sell these in the fish department of grocery stores.  Can you guess what they are used for?  For those who said bait, you are correct.  

 8.  I know I am posting a lot of Norah, and will continue to, so there, but you have to watch this little Matrix-like move she was doing at a baby shower a couple weeks ago.

  


9.  Did you know you can access your Social Security yearly account online?  Just go to http://www.socialsecurity.gov

10.  Amazing.  I can be a an ass and/or jerk and my friends keep being my friends.

11.  I just returned from a week-long visit up North.  Fantastic time, with family and friends.  It was just long enough to get to most people I had on my list, but short enough so that I didn't start to become annoying and pesky.  (I think)  Suffice to say more info and pics of the trip a little later, after I get them all organized.  Just wanted to say thanks to you all for spending the time and moolah on me.  To Jeff and John, thanks for the use of the bike.  To Tim, Rick, Jen, Carrie and Christopher,  thanks for the always stimulating and rousingly funny roundtable (actually square) discussion and company on the rides.  Thanks to the Wombie and Holly for imbuing a sense of childlike larceny into my life again.  Thanks to Pat for always being a trooper, a true friend and providing me with a pillow.  Thanks to Marv and Janine for always showing warmth and hospitality.  You all make me feel like I'm worth more than I really am.  And before I forget.  I fell in love with a lovely lady while I was there.  I cuddled and wooed her, but she couldn't come back with me.   Her name was Lilly Lu.  She is a Redbone Hound puppy and belongs to Jeff and Carol.  Unrequited love is the real killer in life.


Lilly Lu

12.  To Stewart, Diane, Mike E., the lady in the hardware store in Roseville,  Phil, Becky, Justin, Shelley and Brittany, Shawn, Rose, Pattie and Gary and the guy on the off-shore oil rig who needs a car but the phone lines are down, thanks for providing me constant reasons why people are so great up there. 



Sunrise on Sunday as I'm heading to the Airport for Florida.  It's like Illinois gave me one more peek and tug at my heart after a tremendously rewarding week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant