Skip to main content

2012 Summer Tour - Day 3

Day three is largely a free day except for a trip in to Blick to talk to Annette about a job opening I heard about.  I am meeting Pat at 4:00 at the Brickyard to have an unbreaded tenderloin and a Bloody Mary, then over to BFE Community Center to discuss the week's rides.  


This picture was taken by Sherry Godsil.

I learned from Sherry and Jen that my old Fed Ex job is opening up and I wanted to check in to see if they would add any more hours from the 15 hour a week it is now, which is less than when I worked it.  I had a nice chat with Annette, my old boss and she said she'd love to have me back.   



Before leaving Aledo this morning, I stopped at McDonald's for a cup of coffee and get wired to see what was happening in the world (along with my fantasy baseball league).  This is what greeted me as I stepped out of the transportation conveyance.



Later on that day, after I returned, we were going to take Miss Maddy for a walk but needed to get some gas.  Saw this hot rod at the gas station.  Pretty nice, but it is one of those build from scratch with new everything kind of car which is nice, but kind of like taking a piece of glass and calling it the Hope Diamond.


While cruising around G-Burg I spotted this sign in front of a decidedly non-mainstream church.  Half offended at its marquee,  and wondering why they would so disrespect the notion of education, I thought it was blog-worthy.  Any thoughts?


A trip out to the fairgrounds to walk Miss Maddy.  The sight of the Mercer County Fair, this place has some memories for me.  Not sure I got into the fair thing, as a kid.  I recall my folks working the Seaton stand and helping with wiping tables down and stuff, but I never really got into the whole carney stuff and rides.  Mostly, I thought it was a bit tedious.


An administration building built in 1914.  Man, that sucker's old.



On Tuesday night I made it to BFE Community Center where Jen, Rick, Christopher, Carrie, Tim and I drank some ice cold Bud Light.  "Just one more..." was the mantra.  Nice to see everyone, and we made plans to ride the next three days.  Best laid plans of mice and men.  The picture above is that of Richard, who has grown into a man-size looking fellow  who just last April was sporting a Bieber "do" and weighing all of about 40 pounds.  Now he has a real haircut and getting ready for football practice.  He won the "Most Changed" award for the trip.  And yes, Vince, the man-eating German Shepherd with a bad case of bloodlust was hanging around sniffing my calves.  Good thing Tim fed him, his appetite was abated. 

We are planning on a trip to Peoria tomorrow for a Davis Bros pizza and the Lincoln Library in Springfield on Friday.  On Saturday a trip to Anamosa is planned.  Yee Haw!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant