Skip to main content

2012 Summer Tour - Day 7

Today we ride to Anamosa Iowa and hopefully check out J & P Cycles, a national parts store and a bit of a mecca for bikers, and the National Motorcycle Museum. But first, back to the Sutor's for a romp with Lily Lu and time to braid Jeff's beard.



When we hopped off the bikes after riding yesterday I noticed Jeff's beard was at a 90 degree angle so this morning I was not too surprised to see Carol braiding it for more convenient riding.  This leads me to another thought.  Biker looks.  I keep threatening to let my hair grow long and have a goatee like Jeff's and let it go as well.  I like the biker look.   I doubt I could pull it off, but maybe one day, I'll just let my hair have one last fling. 


Our bikes parked in front of the Community Center in BFE.  Christopher couldn't join us this trip because of too much sun yesterday, that and being buffeted all day by the wind.  Joining us are Jen and Rick McCutcheon, and their new Harley.  It is a black sleek looking thing and very good looking.  In fact, we are all riding Harleys this trip.  Carrie made her appearance exactly at 8:00 am as promised, and off to Muscatine for breakfast.


Gassing up at some place.  Where?  I haven't a clue.  That's the fun of it.  That's Tim, Rick and Jen.


I have been riding John Sutor's 1500 Harley-Davidson Standard Soft Tail.  I have also borrowed Jeff's helmet.  I'm a helmet guy.  Thanks to John for allowing me to borrow his bike.  Men don't generally loan out their women, nor their Harley's.  I have traditionally been a Kawasaki guy, and most recently moved up to a Yamaha Stratoliner.  The more I rode the Harley, the better it felt, and my big old body adjusted.  It has plenty of "go", easy handling,  comfortable ride, and of course, it never hurts to be included in the Harley Club.  


The next series of pictures are of bikes at the National Motorcycle Museum.  If you are not into it, then just scroll down and be done with it.  Otherwise check out some of these ancient, and rare motorcycles from the 19th and 20th century.  Some are one of a kind, and their rarity and value cannot be estimated.  All are unique in their own way.  I did not take any notes for these pics, so don't look for any write-ups.     


This is one of Evel Kneivels bikes and suit he wore.




Notice the close handlebars.  Steering must have been a bitch.


This is Steve McQueen's favorite cycle and his actual bedroll.


Another shot of McQueen's '47 motorcycle.



Belt driven bicycle converted into a motorcycle.


That is a serious seat.





Hundreds of bikes are packed in this place, many just parked as close together as possible.




A homemade one-of a kind bike that was long wide and mostly, silly looking.





A Curtiss.


This is a Sears bike.







This is the only Henderson ever built.  


Many bikes had white gas headlights.



Early belt driver for a bike.  




None of us had any idea why this big brass bell was on the bike.  Early Gremlin bell, perhaps?


If I had one of these I could transport people from one place to the other downtown.


This is a kiddie cycle.









Nicely done panorama, but sure takes up a lot of valuable space.



Drag racing bike.




Newer '60's bikes from Japan.




Bonneville motorcycles.  Did you ever see the Anthony Hopkins movie, World's Fastest Indian"?  Well, here they are. 


This place even gives a nod to leg-powered bikes.




Big clunking gas tank with these gauges.



American World War II cycle.


German World War II cycle.


Early steam powered cycle.

Bike overload?  I don't know how you can really appreciate all of the bikes even in a care-free stroll around the floor of the museum.  Every conceivable marriage between two wheels and motor cobbled and not so cobbled together.  The human ingenuity necessary to achieve most of the designs is awe inspiring.  Overload, Yup.  I don't know how many bikes and other contraptions they have but it is certainly hundreds.  In what looked like an old K-Mart store, the National Morotocycle Museum needs a new home and twice the floor space to properly display all the machines.  And if you visit, you need plenty of time, even then you 'll be dizzy with all the makes and models.    

It was a long ride and due to the Class Reunion Jeff and I had to split from the group and head home.  They were going on up to Galena and back home so we decided to take the Interstate from Davenport to make up some time.  Making up some time meant going 80 mph which was exhilarating. And quick. There was one road that went on forever somewhere that they had put crack filler in every so often.  I thought my insides were going to come out my nose after a while, but a little "innards juggling" I guess helps to settle the foundation.  Back to Aledo, a quick shower and over to the Oak View Country Club.  Great day. 

The few days have flown by and final thoughts on Tuesday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant