Skip to main content

Flashback Friday

Ask me the greatest weekend I ever had and I'll tell you, July 4th weekend in 2007. It was without doubt the greatest one I ever experienced and I've experienced a few.  It was a weekend where Brendan was able to join us from Clarksville, Tennessee while he was on leave there between tours in Iraq.  Joining us also that weekend were Michael and Alhanna.

What we had, then was a good old family get-together.  I recall making plans to attend the 4th of July Car Show in Kewanee which is always held at Francis Park a couple miles outside of town.   I knew he was coming up with his friend Karen from England.  I had asked them to join me if they could at the car show, and if he really felt like it, to wear his uni, just for me.

I'll be damned if he didn't and if I can say so, I was one proud father walking with his kid that day amongst the people and the old cars.  A memorable day that only got better.




Michael and I went up to the depot to spot for trains.


Michael walking the cement abutment on Seminary Street.  Uh, yeah, he was well supervised and never in any danger.


After the car show we all stopped at the DQ for a refreshment.  It was one hot day.


Michael and his giant blizzard. 


After the fireworks at Lake Story, we all congregated at the bar in my garage.


A Hell of a good night at the bar.


It was an ungodly hot day but Brendan acquiesced to my wishes and wore his uniform.


Mackenzie and Karen having a laugh while Michael just got hosed down.


Aha! There's the villain.


Watching fireworks at Lake Story.


And then having our own fireworks display when we got home.  Here's Michael with a sparkler.


Under the heading "It's a small world"  this is Matt Carlson, son of Reverend
Carlson of BFE.  ironically they were my neighbors there.  Matt and Brendan are best buds.


Brendan preparing a multi-pop bottle rocket attack.



Congregating in the front yard.


Brendan and Alhanna.


Missy looking ready to party.

Michael rode with me in Baby back to Galesburg after the car show and we all stopped at DQ.  After that we made our way back to the house where I fired up the grille and we had the usual assortment of burgers, hot dogs and brats.  After going to the fireworks show at Lake Story we then returned home and partied in the garage.  Dave and Matt, a couple of Brendan's friends joined us.  

I have never known a happier few days.  Everyone was having fun, there laughter and joy with us all.  I was deeply touched that Brendan would wear his uni, I recall him fighting the request, and all in all great family day that was enjoyed by everyone.  It was one of those sterling, but rare times when everything came together and made us a single happy family.  I had all the loves of my life with me, a 4-car garage, and it was filled with old cars, a motorcycle, laughing grandkids, my own kids, and, at least for that day, a deep feeling of peace and contentment.  

They say parents are only as happy as their least happy child.  On this weekend, our kids were happy, playful and I was surrounded by everything and everyone who mattered.   Brendan would leave in a day or two and I'd start worrying about him again.  Mackenzie would be continuing with her life and I'd start worrying about her again as well.  And, like usual, the angst of the human condition would resume its place as a shadow that more or less hovers with varying degrees of ominousness.  But for those few hours, it all seemed so far away...   

        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant