Skip to main content

2012 Summer Tour - Wrapping It Up

Here are some final thoughts:

1. There were other food items that I enjoyed while back. LaGondolas torpedoes and both garlic and cinnamon bread was a highlight of the week. It's funny the strength of certain foods when you can't get them anymore.  Kitchen Cooked chips, Ray's Chilli,  holiday pumpkin drink, Brickyard unbreaded loins,
Hy-Vee bakery white cake, Maid-rites, the list goes on.


Mmmm, anything from LaGondolas is good.


Tastee Freeze tenderloin.


Not to mention the Tastee Freeze tenderloins and Orange Freezes.  The Orange Freeze isn't that syrupy crap poured into ice, it's the orange soda mixed with soft serve ice cream to make a sort of orange shake.  I've only seen it at the Aledo Tastee Freeze.  Never seen it anywhere else.

2.  Our more delicate readers will want to skip this entry and especially tomorrow's post.  I wouldn't want to be responsible for for a fair maiden's fainting.  Whenever you ride a bike great quantities of air rise from the underneath area and hits your chest,  rises up and over your head or helmet.  I had lowers on my old Kawasaki which deflects a lot of it, but given the nature of riding, there is no way to stop it, unless you have a fairing, I suppose.  I swear, I wrestled with a lone nose hair for 200 hundred miles.  What started as just a random tickle on Friday became a full fledged elephant in the room, as it were, by Saturday.  It tickled me to no end, and if I could have had a machete I would have cut out that sucker.  As it was, for most of my ride I suppose, I had my finger up my offending nostril trying to get it under control.  Next time I'll stop and ask for a lighter and we'll try a controlled brush fire.

By the time you read this, I may have received my new "Buck's Lowers" from a fellow in Michigan.  His lowers are well-known in the biking field and are, according to his many testimonials, a must-buy for comfortable riding.  They are not cheap, but I believe it may be something well worth having.  I am also contemplating a Grasshopper Back Rest.  You can look both of these items up on your computer if you have a mind to.

3.  Best joke of the week?  After having crossed Route 93 three times as I was leading the group on our way home from Peoria on Thursday, this is what Tim had to say when i announced I had to get back to Aledo by 5 on Saturday as we are sitting in a restaurant/bar in Anamosa:

"Well, Mike, you can take off on your own and make it to Aledo by 8, or go with us to Galena and make it to Aledo by 6."

Wit isn't a muscle.  You can't make it better by exercise.  You got it or you don't.  Neighbor Tim's got it.

4.  Sorry to Nick (I stopped by to see you), Matt (I stopped by, too), Jim, Mike, Ed, Marty, Tom and Ronda, Randy and Julie, and Gay, Jalisco's and Pizza House; wanted to see you all, but couldn't wrangle it.

5.  You heard it here first.  I will be planning and organizing a trip up North in the Spring on my cycle.  Time for another road adventure.  If things work out, I'll have some company on the way back since I have received assurances from a friend that a half-way meet is possible.  This is the kind of stuff that really gets me excited.  This is gonna be fun!  More info in the coming weeks.

6.  Rick and Jen McCutcheon who I have leaned on in the past are always fun to be around and this trip was no exception.  Nice people,  great kids, and glad to have them in my corner.  They are easy going (except when Rick gets hungry) and a pleasure to be in their company.  I am lucky indeed to have such friends.    

7.


This is the front porch of Jeff and Carol Sutors rustic home in Sutor Woods.  When I close my eyes and think of heaven, this is what I picture. Less the Toyota Yaris, naturally.

8.  My friend Christopher Janey made a determination that his work in the prison system was injurious to his overall health and happiness.  I'm happy he got out.  Its a bold move but he is a bold man and I am proud of him.

9.  Thanks again to Mark and Holly who always take me into their home whenever I return.  And, amazingly enough, their home seems like home to me.  Warm, comfy, and with an  overabundance of laughter and good stories, they are nice fun people and I couldn't have asked for a better Wombie.

10.


This is a picture of the sunrise on Sunday morning as we are heading back to Moline and our flight home.  Six days was not enough.  It never is.

11.  Mr. Sutor has a great outlook for the law of probability.  Worried that when I was away from the bike and using his helmet, I asked if he'd like to keep it in the trunk of his bike.  He said, "We've found that there is a kind of honor with fellow bikers.  We've never had a problem with just putting the helmet on the bike and leaving it.  Oh, and if someone does take it,  oh well."  Now in that simple statement, there lies a great philosophy of life.  Do what you can, and if it doesn't work out, oh well.  The old philosopher in me says, inside that little nugget lies greatness.   It tells you to prepare as best you can but not so much that you become paralyzed, and gives you permission to fail, but that failure need not be the be all - end all.

12.



Strapped in the tin can getting ready to get whisked back to Florida.  A round trip always has a down side.  Either returning home or getting back, usually there is a sad side to the flights.  Guess which flight was the sad one for me?   




Somewhere over the USA returning to the endless blue skies of Florida, the 15 minute rains, the busyness of the city, and of course, my family.  Thanks everyone for making it a damn good trip and for making me sad to leave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant