Skip to main content

Flashback Friday

The date eludes me, but a few years back I decided to take in the Field of Dreams in Dyersville Iowa. I went solo and was still in G-Burg at the times, so it was pretty much a good day trip. It was in August I think, maybe the end of July because the corn was high and green, just like the movie, I timed it that way so it would capture the fun of the movie scene where you walk into the corn rows.

I have been trying to get the BFE Harley Club to go with me for a while now, but with schedules, and such, it has eluded us. It is, however, on the "Bucket List" and I think everyone would have a good time. And remember, its not the destination...



The bleachers where Ray (Kevin Costner) and Annie (Amy Madigan), along with Terrence Mann (James Earl Jones) sat to take in the ball games.  It was here, Ray's kid, Gaby, chokes on a hot dog and is saved by Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham (Burt Lancaster). 


An older gentleman has rounded third and heading for home.


The corn rows where Shoeless Joe Jackson, Archie and Terrence Mann go...where?


Home plate.


You can see the road that plays an integral part of the final scene from here.


The farm house.  The fence is an addition. 


"Build it, and they will come..."


Yes, I walked in.  No, nothing happened.


Boo!


From the cornfield looking toward the ball diamond and house.


I won't go into the weird competition they have here.  Or at least when I was there.  The land has been divided between two competing people or groups and they vie for the tourist money.  Greed.  One side is free however, and the other costs money, so the choice is clear. I'm not sure what is going on, now, but we'll find out next summer.  


A Ray and Annie carving in the bleachers.


Just like the movie.



 You can swing a bat, go catch grounders or fly balls, and run around the bases.  Anyone who has had a Dad or wish they did, whether or not you like baseball, can appreciate the sentiment of this movie.  Best sports oriented film, maybe.  The Natural is pretty good, so is Hoosiers and Rudy.

Anyway, fun day, albeit solo, which proves once again, that any day riding beats a day doing just about anything else.  Mix in great weather, fairly decent roads, and little bit lost, plenty of time, being one with a great movie, and you have a concoction that is tough to beat.  It won't be too tough talking the BFE Harley Club into joining me this time.  Maybe even up 22 miles north to Guttenberg and take the Cassville ferry across the river?  Carrie, I'm sure can duplicate her "on-time" ability and if we can keep Rick fed and happy, it should be a great day.  Tim, you'll love the scenery. Hint hint.   Jeff, you in?

But I digress.  As I learned on my 7000 miles on a bike in 2004, it is better to have someone ride with you than to go solo.  Too many things to see and chat about...too many local bars to explore...too many laughs to leave at home.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant