Skip to main content

Gulfport, Again

Gulfport Florida is one of my favorite places. It is right next to Shawshank, it is a small town nestled next to a big one, it is an art-crazy place, and has a pier that is pretty decent too. I go here often, and have posted many times from the great walkway out in the Gulf.
This was a wild place during Tropical Storm Debby.



Once again, I have Amy's super-duper camera in hand which allowed me the opportunity to take pics I wouldn't normally be able to take.  By the way, it was not a T3, it was a Canon Rebel Eos XS.   


O'Maddy's is an open bar-restaurant next to the Pier which is quite popular.  Neighbor Tim and Carrie from BFE have been here. 


A shot looking toward the setting sun.  


Many people make their boats permanent residences.  They drape tarps around their decks to keep the cold winter breezes bearable.  


Just a Gulfport couple sitting on the Pier reading.


Is this Captain Jack's ship that ran aground on the Gulfport beach during Tropical Storm Debby?  The boat was being fined each day by the village and it ended up being totaled and dragged somewhere.  This just might be that boat.  


About that time this bird flew up on the railing.  The next few shots convinced me that someday I'd have to have a good camera.  Just notice my superhuman ability to capture this egret.  


Some people make great Moms.  Others are good water superintendents and paint techs.  


Still others are good and making firetrucks or shooting bows and arrows.  


Some are even great at cleaning out fertilizer tanks and supervising line workers at Blick.


But me?  I'm an artist.


I'm sending my portfolio to National Geographic in hopes they can use my talent.  I hope I can return the favor, after all they provided me with so many African breasts growing up.  


Yes, I'm looking at you.



That's Amy in the foreground, and Patti on the far left with the current Mrs. Blythe next to her.  Patti is deathly afraid of birds for some reason.  She hates them like Brendan hates sharks.  So you can imagine her strength of character to continue walking next to this magnificent creature.




Another shot of a well bundled-up boat. 



Or is this Captain Jack's boat?


Reading signs stating "Beware of camera thieves." Amy got her camera back, but not without a tussle.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant