Skip to main content

While The Midwest Got Buried With Snow...

...We decided to hit the beach.  Down for vacation we were joined by Patti and Amy from Indianapolis.  The beach beckoned so we took a trip over to Treasure Island and went to the best therapeutic strip of land and surf called Sunset Beach.  It was a breezy day with nice warmth from the sun with just a few people around.
Once again, Amy let me use her nice dSLR Camera, a Canon T3, and I was having a grand old time with it.
The water was a bit coolish, but that didn't prevent people from taking advantage of a nice warm day.  Breezy, but quite nice overall.



One of the sporting activities one sees when it is windy are these surf board sailing thingies (okay, I don't know what they are called) that zip around.  Many of today's pictures are of these sailing boards for two reasons:  one, they are fun to watch, and two, Amy's camera really lets you in on the action and takes superb action shots.  So, I guess I'm showing off my skills as a picture taker.     


As you can tell by my body language I was positively saddened by what my peeps were going through on this day.

We had received word that the Midwest was receiving its first significant snowstorm with blowing winds and an accumulation of many inches.  Turns out many travelers were stranded in parts of Knox and Warren counties and I received a video from Neighbor Tim recording the storm.  It really looked nasty to drive in and if you couldn't be on this sandy beach, then best be at home with a cup of hot chocolate or a Bloody Mary and watch it out the window.



Here is the video sent to me from Neighbor Tim.  His lovely wife is doing the camera work and Tim is providing the, uhm, color commentary.



Now back to the beach.  Another sport in the wind is hopping on a board and being pushed around by a huge kite.  Here is a guy holding on to his lines.   








This is Amy wading in to the frothy coolish water.  Next Tuesday's blog will dazzle you with a visitor from the deep who came up to say "hi".  It was a remarkable series of shots I took with her camera.  Somewhere, someway I'm getting a nice camera like hers.  Quick, burst shooting, auto focus, it was a fun time playing with it.  Hmmm?  Can it be considered a business expense for a blog?   



Another reason why speedos should be banned.  Another reason?  Hell, it's the only reason.







You could get in the water and you would be fine once you got acclimated, but it was a bit chilly.  This guy is going surfing and they usually have a wetsuit of sorts. 



In what is perhaps my best picture of the day, not for composition, but simply filling the frame with people having fun.  We have two guys playing football, a couple ladies and a kid flying a kite, a guy on a sailboard and someone in the lower left hand corner sunning.

I was, naturally, quite saddened by the snowy mess up north.  Life just isn't fair, now is it?  As I was traversing the sandy beach I pretended to walk gingerly over an icy sidewalk.  As I was doing that I pretended to scoop snow,  and if that wasn't enough, my poor cold brethren up North, I pretended to turn up the thermostat on a palm tree down the way a little.  I do what i can, I do what i can.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant