Skip to main content

Seaton At Night

I enjoy the experimentation of taking night pictures.  I have had some moderate success with the St. Pete skyline and over at the Gulfport Pier.  So why not Seaton?  




I woke up early and climbed into a cold truck to drive the 10 miles South to capture a sleeping village, with very little change since I was a wee one running around as a kid there.  About a couple miles out i decided to try a "skyline" picture.  What I didn't count on was the crippling cold.   My tripod, which is essential for night shots, has a series of latches along the legs that you loosen and then snap shut to lock the legs in place.  As luck would have it, one of those latches snapped off due to the cold, thus rendering the tripod virtually useless.  Because of this the picture above, and below, sadly, are blurred.  Because I had to hold the camera rather than stabilize it with the tripod, the results are failed.    




Only slightly better than the first one, this picture is blurred.  The structure to the right are grain bins at the old Bertelson place.




Once in town I attached the camera to a fairly stable tripod (it now worked but was only a couple feet high) and had some better luck for all the trouble I went to this early morning.  Above, the old post office and a shed along main street.   




Further to the left on main street downtown is the restaurant, which was closed this week for vacation.




This strange blurred picture was the park area from in front of the bank.





Again, from in front of the bank looking north.



This is the old weigh house at the grain elevator my Dad had when we were growing up. I'd love to go inside and see and smell it again.  It is owned by the Carsons now and someday I may have an opportunity.  I wonder is the "November 6" calendar page my Dad tore out when the Wombie and I were born is still stapled above the front window?


This is a curve around the block where our house was in the East End.  It is down from the Seaton house.  Beyond the drift straight ahead was the old chicken coop we neighborhood kids used as a club house when we were kids.  What ever is that light to the right is, I have no idea; there isn't anything there.  Reflection from something?  Guess it will remain a mystery until I return and check it out.

This was the second turn in the block back when Dad would tie all of our sleds together and then take us for a ride with the truck.  If I remember correctly he would take it easy on the first curve at Rader's house so we (and he) could get a feel of the conditions, then he's rev it up more on this curve.  He wanted to give us a bit of a rush by getting up enough speed to make us swerve into virgin drifts on the side of the road.  And of course the tail sled always had a bit more swerve than the first two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant