Skip to main content

Flashback Friday

In moving from Shawshank to Bedlam I uncovered a painting that I did some 32 years ago.  I recall doing it at work at the Mary Davis Home on 3rd shift when the kids were asleep and the only things to do were to get the occasional bathroom call and the laundry.  We'd make periodic checks on the dorms to make sure all was well and then just work to stay awake.  We experimented with several schedules back in those days and one of them was a 7-3 (AM) for 4 days, then 3-11 (PM) and then up to 11-7 (PM).  This schedule didn't last long and was quickly abandoned.  When this painting was done we all did 3rd shift work once in a while to help out when people went on vacation or were sick.  Mr. Sutor has a better memory than I so perhaps he knows one of the schedules we had in 1982.   

I was pretty much self-taught and the first few paintings were pretty rough.  This one, of our dog, Magic, was something I remember thinking came out OK.  Good enough to give to Marj for Christmas.





I suppose I wasn't interested in the hind quarters or I would have painted them.  Funny, though, I guess I should have done more of an unfinished look all the way around, then the lack of tail area wouldn't have seemed quite so abrupt.  

I also noticed after 3 decades some age spots, not only on me but on the painting, too.  Looks like it could have been because of several factors, but it was never given a protective coating of walnut oil, so perhaps it is time to do a little archival work on the old girl.   



This is a picture of Marj unwrapping the painting and she was visibly quite pleased with the gift.  I'm not sure when Magic died, and not sure I can come up with it myself, but I think she was gone by the time this picture was taken, thus adding to the tears of joy that were evident after she opened it.  This was taken by a Polaroid and why did I ever think this was a better way to take pictures?  Amazingly, however, most of my pictures have held up pretty well - Polaroid's were the ultimate in instant gratification:  extremely expensive to use they have since made way for a better (and cheaper) digital experience.

A second of time preserved over thirty years ago.  A grand lady brought to tears by a gesture. One of my early paintings and it hangs on my wall today.    There are bridges we drive over, and bridges we keep to the past. Both take us home.  

Comments

  1. The last two sentences say it all and better than I ever could have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant