Skip to main content

Flashback Friday - 2004-2014

The following pics were taken on my travels in the summer of 2004. It was a heady summer off since school days after being nudged out the door at the Mary Davis Home for early retirement.  Naïve fearlessness would be the most apt phrase regarding my 7000 mile summer journeys.  I wrote at the time that my bike took better care of me than I did of her.  Barely checking important factors, and assuming that it would run forever, the don't-fix-what's-not-broken theory of motorcycle maintenance,  the old Kawi did a superb job of navigating the heat, mountains and height of the West.   
 
These pictures are of South Dakota and the last ones are from Wounded Knee, just south of Rapid City.  
 
 






My lasting regret of these trips was a lack of pictures, and I sometimes passed up things in order to conserve fuel.  I had not yet slipped into full photo-houndness mode and sadly neglected the opportunity to travel and snap pictures with a passion that one should have when traveling and recording their life experiences.

I took no pictures, that I can find anyway, of my travels later on that year to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.  I thought I took some but can't find them.  Same with Boscobel, Wisconsin earlier that year that kicked off this riding frenzy. 

As I wrap up the 2004-2014 Summer of Riding series I'll say that my one wish before I find out what's behind the curtain,  is to go out West again - there is no landscape quite like it for beauty.  No traffic, no people, excellent roads and wide open spaces.  There is a downside of sorts also, I vividly recall being constantly alert to my gas gauge - run out here, and you risk having a very bad day.  I learned after all these miles that naivete is something you can grow out of, and this is a few things I discovered that summer:
 
1.  Riding alone is sad.  No one to share or discuss the ride or sights is something to be avoided. 
 
2.  Riding alone is lonely.  Using only your wits to make it a smooth trip is laying a lot on you.  Much better to have another mind in the mix to help. 
 
3.  I didn't have music or speakers on my bike.  If a song got into my head it would stay there for 100's of miles.  That is a form of torture.
 
4. I know you have a destination, but often that gets in the way of stopping more periodically to take pics or just revel in the scenery.        
 
5.  Travel as light as possible. 
 
6.  Leave the tent at home. 
 
7.  Take a notebook and jot down thoughts as you go along.  We sometimes forget small things that make traveling so much fun.
 
8.  Preparation Is Everything.
 
9.  Keep water and a snack on the bike.  Make more stops than necessary to stretch legs.
 
10.  Never pass up an opportunity to travel.
 
11.  Have fun.  If it's not fun it's not worth the time or money. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant