Skip to main content

Tueday Tidbits


1.  The Japanese beetle is a scourge of the linden tree.  I'm not sure I have ever seen one of these beetles, but a quick trip to Wikipedia identified this as one:


They feed on about 200 varieties of vegetation and trees including the birch, maple and linden trees.  



My friend Pat has a couple lindens in her back yard and showed me a couple of leaves they had eaten. 

I was intrigued by the dainty way they eat.  They look to be sloppy eaters, leaving some on the veins, but it does have a certain lacy quality to it.



2.  During one of my work trips to Henderson to work on the house, buddy Tim was working on some railing and rigged up this fulcrum.  Duct tape and a little engineering know-how can work miracles.    








3.  Hmmmm.  At the Knoxville McDonald's, perhaps the less said the better on this one.  Let's just say there are at least two definitions of tea bag.  I hope there is a third otherwise this guy is skirting awful close to public obscenity. 






4.  Whitey's Ice Cream. Nothing else need be said.




5.  I have a niece named Ashley Blythe and she lives in the Kansas City area.  She is the Wombie's daughter. 



Pretty, ain't she?  Besides being gorgeous, she is also smart, funny and has that certain rogue Blythe gene thingy where she is just a step and half ahead of all the rest of us.  Kind of travels her own path and doesn't concern herself with what everyone is doing or thinking.  I like that trait in people, never having been able to myself. 


6.  One of my projects at the house:  



Before


After

It was sure nice doing some work and getting involved in some improvements on the place.  

7.  Seen in a QC doctors office while in Northlandia:  



Doctor's offices are usually quite bland, tasteful and benign.  All the better to not offend the varied individuals who may spend time in them.  This  doctor's office, who is in Rock Island, seems quite political in nature and while much of it is tame like pictures of Washington, Lincoln and paintings of bald eagles, the placard of the 2nd Amendment seems overtly in-your-face, since that particular amendment is a flashpoint for polar views in the country today.

8.  With two weeks to go in regular season Fantasy Baseball the Fighting Flamingos are in 1st place.  I've got a couple of teams nipping at my heels but this is a good place to be.  My second team, the Oakview Ghosts will make the playoffs, since we are leading our division, as well.  Unfortunately, my third team, Why the Longoria Face?, doesn't look like we will make the playoffs.     




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant