Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits



I wonder what happened to D.B. Cooper.  But then again, I don't really want to know.  When the legend crashes into reality - go with the legend.

++++++++++



DO NOT READ IF SQUEAMISH WITH BODILY FUNCTIONS OR PRONE TO THE VAPORS

On my recent annual physical with Dr. Slapdash, he once again reminded me that it was long overdue for my a colonoscopy.  I reminded him that it was not a priority with me - I wasn't afraid or insecure, I just didn't think of it as a must-do procedure.  I asked if I was a candidate for the ColoGuard DNA test I keep seeing on TV commercials.  Dr. Slapdash said there was good news and bad news.  The bad news was it is a a $600 cost and most insurances do not cover it.  The good news was a ColoGuard rep had been in within the last couple days and supplied 2 free tests.  And would I like to try it?  I said sure, why not?

Within a week a kit arrived and after reading and rereading the detailed instruction for a few days, I finally took the plunge.  It came with a pre-paid overnight shipping label and after chasing down a UPS truck, it has arrived for testing in Wisconsin.


Dr. Slapdash also told me that if everyone had an colonoscopy that was supposed to there wouldn't be enough doctors who do them.  I also asked the good doctor why my insurance company would deny both of my nose polyp prescription by Dr. Phlegm? He said it was probably money - thus, the insurance companies have taken over American healthcare.  There I go again - I digress from stool samples to insurance companies - perhaps not such a digression after all.  

Anyway, I'll get the results in a few days.  A case of a lucky visit at the right time.  

++++++++++

Just messing around surfing on the web I saw Elton John had released his 33rd studio album last February.  When was the last time anyone bought his stuff?  When was the last time he put anything out that was good?  The Lion King in '94?  My brother Phil had his first album and I liked it.  His Yellow Brick Road double album was maybe one of the best top 5 stuff ever.  

++++++++++



Babysitting isn't the only thing I've been doing since January.



++++++++++




My Cabin in the Woods.  So close now. 

++++++++++



Been to one of those touch screen order kiosks at McDonald's yet?  I'm a people person but if I can cut out any interaction with them, the better.  

++++++++++

HBO's Olive Kittredge is 4 hours I can't get back.

++++++++++

For some reason I've been on a snake kick the past week or so.  I had a dream about them one night and I saw a couple pictures with them.  I hate the sons of bitches, almost as much as Boehner hates Cruz.  I didn't babysit on Friday so I did my Friday thing with Norah (pick her up at school, take her to Dunkin Donuts, then over to the current Mrs. Blythe's workplace to pick her up after work).  While up on the 3rd floor tossing pennies down to the 1st, I saw a long 4 or 5 foot black snake slither across the front door area from one flower bed to the other.  I wasn't quick enough with my phone so no picture.  Guess my thoughts will remain on them for a while longer.

+++++++++++

As I took my 4:45 am walk before babysitting yesterday morning, a thought struck me as I looked up at the quarter-crescent moon in the west.  Is there life "out there"?  Yes, of course there is.  It is teeming with life.  The reason we have trouble conceptualizing that is because we are earth-centric in our perspective.  But if you consider earth like you would a single cell in all the oceans of all the world, you would begin to see how we fit into the larger expanse of space.  Space doesn't end; there are no walls, this is not a doll's house like in Twilight Zone. Big Bangs are happening all the time, planets are being thrown from their suns at just the right amount of distance to allow for the perfect conditions to create life. The larger question isn't if there is life, but rather how would we ever run into other life given our meager ability to explore.  Think of that tiny organism in the sea, again.  Is there life in the oceans?  Would a single cell be able to see all the life forms?  

A bigger question yet would be: Is God the purveyor of just our little organism, or is He/She/Unmoveable Mover the God of all space?  And if God is See-er over all Space which is Never Ending, that would be one Hell of a God, right?  Or is the God concept Man's imagination and his way to explain, or soothe life? 

I'll figure that out on tomorrow's walk and let you know.

  







Comments

  1. Congratulations on the weight loss. I agree on snakes. Colon scoping- not happening here. Life out there? Of course. If it is intelligent life it will stay away from earth. Nothing to see here, move along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the weight weight loss. Tough gig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on the weight loss! Your brother just ordered a bike, should arrive next Friday. I nearly stepped on a sizable garter snake in our back yard the other day. Living under the back shrubs I guess. Life on other planets? I have no idea. Intelligent life on this planet? Highly unlikely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant