Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits



The cabin in the woods awaits.  We'll keep the light on for ya'. 


++++++++++ 



Alfred in Fun Bus heaven.  Here she is watching a movie with headphones, with her ever-present blankee , preferably with a piece of it in her mouth.    

++++++++++



I had some time before my appointment with Dr. Phlegm so I took a short walk on the bike trail.  I'm not sure what this means, but who ever went to the trouble of expressing himself or herself seemed perplexed by it all.  Can't get worked up over getting buffed?  Well then Buff you!

++++++++++






Came across this interesting video somewhere this past week.  Kind of interesting to hear a famous whistle that was silenced while new over a hundred years ago and now sounds again.  They were able to retrieve Titanic's whistle and even corroded they were able to restore it and it sounds nice and throaty, just as you would expect from the most famous ship in history. 


++++++++++

"Healthcare is working along very well...we're gonna have a big surprise.  We have a great health care package.  We're going to have a great surprise."  (It has an approval rating of 17%)

"You know, it doesn't really matter what they (the Media) write as long as you've got a beautiful and young piece of ass."  (Thinks CNN, Washington Post, New York Times, NBC, ABC, and CBS is fake news, but respects the National Enquirer.)

"Even if the world is going to Hell in a hand-basket, I won't lose a penny."  (Still refuses to divest himself or reveal tax returns.)


++++++++++



Adventures In Babysitting


Went to the pool before the 4th weekend with the kids.  Norah was down with me and Alfred at the ladder at the deep end.  She was splashing around, going down, coming up, and generally making a lot of noise.  When it settled down I asked what that was all about and she replied. "I was burping, belching and farting."  Ever the little lady.  



During the same event I swear Alfred put some kind of sleeper hold on me.  I'm not sure where she started clutching me, and in fairness, it must be scary to 2 year old to be held by someone in deep water,  but I swear she must have grabbed my aorta and stopped the blood flow.  I have never felt something like that before.


++++++++++

I bade farewell to my ear, nose and throat guy Dr. Phlegm on the 26th.  The good news is that I am still problem-free and he thinks I will be immune from further worries.  He experienced a wealth transfer (from my bank to his) and is becoming the "say ahhhh" man in some island-for-the rich resort area near here.  Its hard to say goodbye - once you let a guy play with your polyps - it doesn't seem right to just let anyone do it.     

++++++++++







It is amazing the number of cars out on the road whose drivers are on their phones.  be careful everyone, and put those damn things down!  These girls were driving along on a three lane main artery - both looking at their phones   a little while alter on same road I saw another guy texting and driving.  Funeral directors are always on call if you want to be stupid.  Just keep me out of it. 



++++++++++








Perspective


++++++++++



++++++++++

Guaranteed Great Flick

Hollywood has always mimicked the American culture much more than it has transformed it.  What does it say about us when most movies out now are comic book heroes, transformers, remake of Baywatch and another Pirate movie with Johnny Depp.  Yeah, I know all about the summer kiddie schedule and all that.  Now go look at the releases in the past 6 months, and you'll see a good deal of the same thing.  

Having said all that I want to recommend one.  I saw it a couple weeks ago and really liked it a lot.  It was deep, emotional, beautiful to watch and had a coming-of-age story with loss and gain.


The real draw is the story, not who is in it, so I won't mention that, although the actors are top-notch.  I won't tell you too much as it might diminish your viewing experience, suffice to say the bare bones of it all is a kid is losing his mother to cancer and an intermediary enters his life to help him cope.  This is no comic book, no super heroes, no lame comedy-drama.  This is "life stuff".  (That being a technical term used by old guys who haven't the ability to properly express themselves.)  There were a couple times I had my breath taken away, literally and figuratively, by what I was seeing and hearing.  

Do yourself a favor, forget Spiderman's latest and find this superb and under-rated film.  Put it in your DVD machine or stream it whichever way you do it now, and sit back for a great couple of hours that may just take your breath away, too.  

Guarantee:  If you don't enjoy it, let me know and I'll reimburse you your costs. 

++++++++++

Nice to see Fox polling giving our First Lady a 51% approval rating.  She who was born a beautiful immigrant, married into wealth and stands straight.  She promised a campaign against cyber-bullying and yet her husband does it daily. 


++++++++++

I wonder how many scooters at Largo Wal-Mart are really being used by the disabled?  I guess that 12 year old driving down the aisles with his brother on the handlebars made me a bit skeptical.  




++++++++++



Hanging at the Sunset Grill in St. Pete:  apparently they think a bag of water with 2 pennies keeps the flies away.  In the time I was there I never saw one.

++++++++++







It is the All-Star break.  I haven't given a rat's ass, or any kind of ass, about this exhibition game in a long time.  No reason, really, it just doesn't seem real important to me anymore.  In fact I can't remember the last time I saw a game from start to finish but very likely the Mets-San Francisco Playoff game Oct. 2, 2016.   
I do get juiced over fantasy baseball, however, and as you can see by the above screen grab, my Fighting Flamingoes are 40 games ahead of the pack.  Wow.

++++++++++



Nice little shower last Saturday at the Sunset Grill in St. Pete for breakfast.



++++++++++

This cartoon is so unfair.  Another example of media bias.  How mean to compare our president with Hannibal Lector.  Hannibal was educated, erudite, sophisticated, direct and truthful.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant