Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

Progress isn't always good.  Somewhere along the way I lost the ability to record stuff on TV.  I know they have something called DVR, but with my cable bill rates that function became a bridge too far.  


++++++++++

“The warrior ethic has damaged us. As we move into the twenty-first century we need to mature beyond war and warriors. I disagree with those men’s movement writers and activists who speak so highly of the warrior. I appreciate some of his traits—like courage, teamwork, loyalty—but the archetype itself is bankrupt at this point in history. We surely need guardians, boundary-setters, husbandmen, and citizens. If we are to survive on this planet, so threatened by war and warriors, we must get beyond the obsolete archetype of the warrior and value images such as the peacemaker, the partner, and the husbandman who cares for the earth and animals.”




I'd need at least a three beer lead to tackle this subject.


++++++++++




And then apparently tired of family, Alfred grabs her Happy meal and moves over to an isolated spot over by the window.  Atta girl.  Carve your own path. 


++++++++++





Shopping till they dropped.

++++++++++


Took this video while in the car after a trip to Wal-Mart.  It won't be long now.  How appropriate for Kitschland and my mood right now. 

++++++++++





The Cabin awaits.  57 days, 9 hours and 1 minute.  Give or take when you read this.



++++++++++


 One of the local watering holes in Emerald City, Beer Bellies, has a kind of neat ceiling tile motif.  For a large or small amount of money (depending, of course on your luck at the Golden Goddess money machine),  you can get a tile emblazoned with your favorite team.  Or anything, I suppose, within reason.  You can imagine that there are some Cubs and Cards tiles with fan names.  There's an Alabama logo and I think the local high school mascot and logo are represented. 


Last week this logo went up for relative posterity.  Seaton of course is hometown to some of Mercer County's most dynamic, intelligent and upstanding citizens.  Con, one of the Seatonites behind this movement, is the daughter, of Howard, Class of '42.  Glenn Blythe was class of '40.  Ed Rader was class of '30.  Ed always bragged that he graduated sixth in his class.  Yes, you guessed it, there were six in his class.  


 
The school is long gone, but the Blythe boys all went to the school when it was a grade school. 

Congrats to the Wolves.  Can't wait to tip a beer in toast to the new logo.

++++++++++


       I'm on a roll.  I moved into binging on Godless after Ozark and I'm giddy with wonderment.  Both are absolutely MUST SEE.  


++++++++++

The place here at Sinkhole Estates. or as I like to call it, Death Valley, was rocking.  Grandkids had a sleep over.  Movies and pizza.  Kids laughter and racing feet.  Fun.

++++++++++ 

In an attempt to find some measure of adult enjoyment in this arid desert of pleasures, I have established Thursdays at "Bar Night".  This is when I head out to sit, alone, and have a glass of beer and feel like a normal guy.  My first Bar Night was at a place called Average Joe's.  It is walking distance and I had high hopes. 


The place was OK, clean and the beer was cold.


Sadly, it was a yuppie hangout from some tech people who work nearby.  Not that I have any problem with techies, but their taste in music was, well, techno.  It really, really sucked.  It was so loud and so geared that at one time three techies with man-buns were bobbing their heads in sync.  I had a glass of Lite and the waitress hardly said anything, but then a bit later a couple came in and she asked if they wanted anything to eat.  Am I too sensitive? Maybe, but I was hungry. 

  

One of a bar's cardinal sins was violated at Average Joe's. The wooden raised lip at the elbow rest area was uncomfortable and annoying.     



The bar keep's wearing apparel was a strange layered, pajama bottom, short-shorts, sweatshirt combo that, add the ponytails and baseball cap reverse-bill thingy and I almost felt like I was in a  circus fetish sideshow for adults.     






Man buns and pony tails with the requisite full beard that seems so fashionable amongst certain strata.  I'm starting my own fashion trend - grizzled gray four-day old stubble, cargo shorts and T-Shirt that says:




I'd score the place a C- or maybe even a D.  The summary review:

Pros:

  • Cold beer
  • Didn't have to wait to get served.
  • Close to Sinkhole Estates
  • Had Wifi
  • Grill

Cons:

  • Loud, loud, loud.
  • Music selection sucked.  I was going to put on some Meat Loaf but figured everyone would know it was me because...
  • I was the oldest one there
  • Cliq-ish
  • Menu was yuppie  
  • Cheapest item on menu was $8.50, and that was 3 egg rolls.
  • Awkward elbow to bar configuration
  • techno clientele
This next Thursday I will be walking or bicycling to a place called Birdie's Tap not far from Joe's.  One of Yelp's reviews was you could scrape the dirt scum and grease off the walls.  Looking forward to it.

++++++++++   

Comments

  1. Joe's is a no. Birdie's Tap sounds like the kind of bar we like. I'm sure there will be zero man buns and no techno music. Win, win!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant